Did you ever have those puffy airy cream puffs before you went gluten free? Well, now you can have those again! This Gluten Free Cream Puffs recipe will bring back memories, and you will want to devour a whole batch!
Just one bite of these gluten free cream puffs is all it takes to be hooked. Don’t forget to check out my Gluten Free Pantry Essentials to see what I use to bake in my gluten free kitchen.
These Gluten Free Cream Puffs (aka Gluten Free Profiteroles) are a dream come true! Filled with whipped cream and dusted with powdered sugar…every bite will melt in your mouth!
If you haven’t tried a cream puff, you are in for a treat! Luckily for you, this recipe is EASY, and it makes a lot of little cream puffs so you can have lots on-hand!
Trust me, you want a lot because when your family gets a hold of these, they will disappear really quickly!”
What are Gluten Free Profiteroles?
If you are new to the world of profiteroles, they are a French pastry ball that can be filled with all sorts of delicious things such as:
- whipped cream
- pastry cream
- ice cream
After they are filled, you can dust them with powdered sugar, a chocolate ganache, or enjoy them dipped in chocolate. I am so excited I finally got my recipe to work in this gluten free version!
My kids devoured these homemade cream puffs really easily. It is funny because they never had regular cream puffs. This was a totally new experience for them. (Dare I tell them that I now can make eclairs too?)
Here are some more fun gluten free French recipes to try! They may also love this Gluten Free Crepes recipe, these Gluten Free Cheese Danish, or these Gluten Free Flaky Pastries for more French dessert love.
Tips to Make this Recipe:
- It is important to boil the water and butter before adding the flour. This helps the puffs puff up.
- Add the eggs all at once then use a mixer to blend them into the dough ball.
- Make sure your oven is 400F degrees before you put the dough balls into the oven!
How To Make Gluten Free Cream Puffs:
The first step to making homemade cream puffs is to boil the water and butter together. Make sure it is a rolling boil.
Use an electric mixer to mix in the eggs. Again, add all of the eggs in at the same time.
Use a small cookie scoop to drop the dough onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Make sure the oven reaches 400F degrees before putting the puff dough into the oven. The dough is sticky, but the surface evens out with baking.
How do you know when the they are done baking?
The profiterole dough will puff up when it bakes as you can see in this picture. Once the cream puffs are cool, you can cut them in half and add the filling.
What else can you fill your cream puffs with?
You can fill your cream puffs with whipped cream, jam, Nutella, or ice cream.
I used a slightly sweetened whipped cream to fill these cream puffs. You can make your whipped cream from scratch, or buy it at the store.
How to make the homemade whipped cream:
- Take 1 carton of heavy cream and add it to a bowl.
- Use electric beaters to whip the cream until it forms peaks.
- I don’t add sugar but feel free to add 1 tablespoon to the heavy cream then mix.
Dust with powdered sugar.
Now, they are ready to eat! I have not experimented to see if these cream puff balls freeze yet. Everyone ate them so quickly. If you do freeze them (before the whipped cream is added) please let me know.
More Gluten Free Desserts To Try:
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- A food processor is a great way to mix up your dough with less elbow grease!
- Mixing bowls with a rubber bottom so they don’t slide around.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Add water and butter to a pot.
- Bring to a boil. It should boil about 3 minutes in a rolling boil.
- Turn off the heat and add the flour. Stir until you have a soft dough ball.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paer.
- Put dough ball into a bowl. Add the eggs at once and use a mixer to mix the dough and eggs together.
- Use a small cookie scoop to drop the dough balls onto the parchment paper.
- Bake for 22-30 minutes. You want to take these out of the oven when they puff up and get slightly golden.
- Move the puffs to a cooling rack and allow to cool.
- Cut each puff in half and add whipped cream or another filling you like.
- Dust with powdered sugar or dip in chocolate.
Fill these cream puffs with whipped cream, ice cream, or dip in chocolate.
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 71Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 43mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g