Looking for an easy no-mess way to cook frozen hamburgers? This incredibly easy recipe on how to cook frozen burgers in the oven yields juicy delicious burgers. I cover all of the tips and tricks to get the best hamburgers. Use any ground meat or vegan meat frozen burger patties!
I am pretty excited about this easy way to cook frozen hamburger patties. I mostly cover how I bake burgers, but I will also give a quick overview on using the air fryer because I know a lot of my readers do have air fryers.
I will say using the oven is the best way if you need to feed more than two people. My son can easily devour two burgers himself so cooking a lot of frozen burgers on a sheet pan works best for our family!
To save money, we buy frozen Costco burgers. They sell both frozen ground beef and frozen turkey burger patties.
Why These Frozen Burger Hacks Are Great:
- Easy clean-up. This is a biggie for me, especially during busy weeknights.
- No grill, no problem! Get juicy burgers every time baking the in the oven.
- Oven baking is great for winter when it is cold outside. In the winter, it is too chilly to use the grill. Cooking burgers on the stove is messy.
- Cooking burgers in the oven is so much easier.
- You can cook a lot of burgers at once.
- You can cook all types of frozen burger patties from ground beef to vegan Impossible Burgers!
Burger Topping Ideas:
Top them with your favorite burger toppings and enjoy!
- Traditional fixings: lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, and pickles.
- Make them Southwestern with grilled onions, peppers, and my homemade salsa.
- We love barbecue burgers. Top with cheddar cheese, these fried onion rings, and barbecue sauce!
- Mediterranean style can feature lettuce, feta cheese, kalamata olives, and hummus.
Ways To Jazz Up Frozen Burgers:
Frozen burgers typically are not seasoned at all. Here are some delicious ways to get better tasting burgers by seasoning them so they come out full of flavor:
- Season them with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle a little garlic salt on the burgers.
- Use steak seasoning or even A-1 Steak Sauce. Just sprinkle it on both sides.
Recipe Step By Step Directions:
Step 1: Remove the frozen burger patties from the freezer and separate them.
Usually, frozen burgers are sold with small squares of paper between each patty. If they do not have this and the burgers are stuck together, you may need to soak them in warm water for a few minutes to loosen the ice between the patties.
Step 2: The easiest way to prep your pan is to take the sheet pan, or a
Step 3: For best results, place a metal wire rack in the pan on top of the foil. This is typically a cooling rack and is great because burgers will not sit in the extra fat. Spray the rack lightly with cooking oil.
Lay your frozen burger patties in a single layer on the rack. Space the burgers with a little distance between them so they do not stick together. You can brush the tops of the burgers with oil if you like.
HINT: Be sure to use an oil that has a high smoking point like avocado or canola oil.
Step 4: Place the frozen patties into the oven. Note that the cooking time will vary slightly depending on the type of meat, and how thick the frozen hamburger patties are.
Bake the burgers for 20 minutes then flip the burgers to cook an additional 10 minutes on the other side. This is important so that both sides cook evenly.
If you want to add cheese, place it on top of the hot burgers in the last 5 minutes of baking. The sharp cheese will melt beautifully on each hamburger. See that foil? That is why you use it!!
NOTE: Frozen vegan veggie burgers like Dr. Praegers will take a lot less cooking time to bake. I recommend baking them for 10 minutes on each side. Frozen turkey burgers will take the same amount of time to cook as a frozen hamburger patty. It may vary by the thickness of the meat in the patties so be sure to check the internal temperature!
Step 5: Remove the cooked burgers from the oven. Use a digital thermometer to check the internal temperature to be sure it is 165º F. and serve the cooked hamburgers with toppings and your favorite bun.
Frozen Burgers In The Air Fryer:
If you are looking for a quicker option and you only need 2 burgers cooked, you can easily use your air fryer. To cook your frozen beef patties in the air fryer, preheat your air fryer to 400º F.
Place the patties in the air fryer basket. Cook for 6-7 minutes per side. Cooking time will vary by the thickness of the burger patties so use an instant-read thermometer to be sure the internal temperature is safe so that there are no harmful bacteria.
What Buns Are Gluten Free?
There are several great brands of gluten free buns if you need to serve gluten free. My favorite buns are made by Franz Bakery, Canyon Bakehouse, and Trader Joe's. You can also make homemade gluten free hamburger buns!
You can also make my deliciously fluffy Gluten Free Hamburger Buns recipe.
Sides To Serve With Burgers:
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Yes! If your frozen burger patties have been stored properly in the freezer, they will taste as good as fresh hamburger patties.
I love cooking both Impossible Burger patties and Dr. Prager's vegan burgers in the oven.
Frozen hamburgers can last over 6 months in the freezer if sealed properly. Be sure to check for freezer burn before cooking them.
It takes between 30-40 minutes to cook frozen burgers in the oven. Baking time will vary by the size and thickness of the patties.
More Easy Dinner Ideas:
- Easy Gluten Free Sloppy Joes
- Lamb Sliders on Potato Buns
- Chicken Filet Burgers
- Gluten Free Ground Turkey Meatballs
How To Cook Frozen Burgers In The Oven
- 4 frozen burger patties * see note
- non-stick spray
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Remove the frozen burger patties from the freezer and separate them.
- The easiest way to prep your pan is to take the sheet pan, or a cookie sheet with sides, and lay aluminum foil over it. Completely covering the pan may use a lot of foil, depending on the size of the pan you use, but it makes cleaning up a breeze.
- For best results, place a metal wire rack in the pan on top of the foil. This is typically a cooling rack and is great because burgers will not sit in the extra fat. Spray the rack lightly with cooking oil.
- Place the frozen burger patties in a single layer on the rack. Space the burgers with a little distance between them so they do not stick together. You can brush the tops of the burgers with oil if you like.
- Put the frozen patties into the oven. Note that the cooking time will vary slightly depending on the type of meat, and how thick the frozen hamburger patties are.
- Bake the burgers for 20 minutes then flip the burgers to cook an additional 10 minutes on the other side. This is important so that both sides cook evenly.
- Check the internal temperature and be sure the meat is 165 F.
- You can use any frozen or thawed burger patties. I like to use vegan burgers too like Impossible Burgers.
- Baked burgers will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Store them in an air-tight container.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)
Thanks for giving the cooking temperature. I was puzzled it wasn't mentioned in the recipe as it can make quite a difference if the temperature isn't correct.
I am puzzled by your comment because you complimented me for including the cooking temperature, then said it wasn't there. It is there so if you could please clarify what you mean?
Want temperature & how long to I cook frozen impossible burger patties in the oven?, my dad loves the impossible burgers, will you please email me back with the info, I would appreciate it very much.
Email sent :-). I bake frozen Impossible Burgers at 400º F.
How long do you cook the frozen Impossible Burgers for?
Hi Dolores, 15 minutes on one side then 10 minutes on the other side. The same baking temperature. Thank you!