You are going to love how easy these Gluten Free Cranberry Shortbread Bars are to make! Sweet and tart at the same time, these bars are just bursting with holiday flavors!
If you love cranberries as much as I do, wait until you try these gluten free cranberry bread!! They just scream fall flavors and holiday traditions!!
Click for Table of Contents:
Cranberries are one of those fruits that symbolize the holidays! Their sweet-tart flavor works in recipes from sweet to savory! I couldn't wait to share this new recipe with you.
The thing I love most about these gluten free cranberry squares is that they FREEZE well. Yup, I am on sweets overload here and I had to freeze several to hide them from myself. I have been recipe testing, tasting, and eating a lot lately and I needed to make some of the sweets disappear.
My daughter pulled these cranberry bars out of the freezer the other day for some friends and they DEVOURED these bars in record time. She heated them up for 30 seconds in the microwave. This easy gluten free banana bread with cranberries also freezes well if you want to make two recipes :-).
These cranberry shortbread cookies would taste amazing with vanilla ice cream served on top!
Fun Variations and Substitutions:
Feel free to customize this recipe. Fresh cranberries are hard to find year-round so feel free to also substitute your favorite fruit like blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries!
- Try using blueberry jam (or your favorite jam) instead of cranberry sauce. You will love shortbread bars with jam!
- Add slivered almonds on top!
- Add chopped pecans to the bottom shortbread layer
- Top with fresh whipped cream
- Add white chocolate chips!
Are you ready to see how easy these cranberry shortbread bars are to make?
- Gluten free flour blend
- Brown sugar
- Fresh cranberries
The first step is to make fresh cranberry sauce. Add the cranberries and other cranberry sauce ingredients to a pan and bring to a boil. You will hear some popping as the cranberries pop under the heat.
While the cranberries are cooking, let's make the gluten free shortbread crust.
Can you use leftover cranberry sauce instead?
Yes, this recipe is a great way to use up leftover cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving!
How to make a gluten free shortbread crust:
If you like shortbread, you are going to love how easy this gluten free shortbread crust recipe is to make. First, add your dry ingredients to a bowl. Add the cold butter in chunks to the bowl.
Add 3/4 of the crust dough to a greased 8x8 baking dish. (Save the other 1/4 to be used in the topping.) Press the dough down into the baking dish. Bake the crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Add the cranberry sauce (or leftover cranberry sauce) to the partially baked shortbread. Spread it out to cover the shortbread crust.
I bake my gluten free shortbread bars at 350 degrees. Add the sugar to the remaining shortbread crust and then drop on top of the cranberry layer. Bake. Allow cooling completely before slicing.
How can you tell if the shortbread is done?
I usually use the fruit layer as a barometer to determine if they are done. If the fruit layer is bubbling up around the top layer, they should be done.
More Gluten Free Cookie Bars to Try:
- Gluten Free Matcha Green Tea Coconut Bars
- Gluten Free Almond Joy Cookie Bars
- Gluten Free Banana Bars
- Gluten Free Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Cranberry Shortbread Bars
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons water crust (Add one then if you need more add accordingly)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar topping
- Berry layer
- 1 package fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Make the crust first. Add all of the dry crust ingredients to a bowl.
- Add the cold butter. Cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender.
- Add the water to make a dough. Pour 3/4 of the crust into a greased 8x8 pan.
- Press the dough down into the pan so that it is flat.
- Bake only the crust for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- In a small pot, add the cranberries, sugar, and vanilla.
- Cook for 15 minutes on low heat until the cranberries all pop open. You can press a spoon against the berries to pop them.
- Let the cranberry mixture cool 5 minutes.
- Pour the cranberry mixture on top of the crust.
- Take the remaining 1/4 crust mixture and add the brown sugar. Toss to mix.
- Sprinkle the remaining crust mixture on top of the cranberry layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cranberry is bubbling.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF, Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend, and Authentic Foods Multi Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- These bars will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)