If you love fresh juicy apples, wait until you take a bite of this moist gluten free apple walnut bundt cake. It is a delicious cake to enjoy with breakfast, brunch, or coffee.
This cake if full of cinnamon apple fall flavors and crunchy walnuts! If you love apples as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free apple recipes! There are both sweet and savory apple recipes for everyone.
Fall is my favorite time of year. The days start to cool down, leaves start to show off a rainbow of colors, and it is apple season. I know you can get apples all year long, but apples just taste better when they are fresh in the fall.
This apple cinnamon bundt cake is sure to bring back all of those delicious fall memories. If you need a few recipe ideas for fall, this creamy gluten free apple cake will also bring back those flavor memories :-).
What apples are best for baking?
I have a lot of apple recipes and I get asked this question often. Most apples are fine to use when baking, but the more sweet-tart apples really showcase their flavors better in baking. Next time you bake, try Pink Lady, Fuji, Granny Smith, or Jonagold apples!
- Gluten free flour blend - I tested this recipe using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Butter - To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- Almond milk - I used almond milk but other dairy-free kinds of milk will work but I do not recommend canned coconut milk.
- Brown sugar - You can also use coconut sugar if you prefer a lower glycemic sweetener.
Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and dust lightly with a little cinnamon. You are going to love how easy this gluten free apple bundt cake recipe is to make from scratch!
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350º F. In a large bowl, add your dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
Step 2: Add your wet ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend.
Step 3: Pour your wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Add the apple chunks and walnuts.
Step 4: Mix the ingredients gently. If you overmix the batter, your cake is going to turn out denser. My motto is to mix until the batter is "just barely mixed."
Step 5: Add the batter to a greased bundt pan and use your spoon to spread the mixture out evenly. I greased my pan with a coconut oil spray. You can use butter or another light oil to grease the bundt pan.
Step 6: Bake for 45 minutes at 350º F. Check your cake with a toothpick to make sure it is baked in the middle. Remove from the oven, tip the cake upside down and let it drop out of the bundt pan. Allow cooling on a wire cooling rack.
- Drizzle icing over the top. It is easy to make with ½ cup powdered sugar and a tablespoon of water. Adjust the ratio until you get the desired thickness of icing.
- Stripe piped frosting from the outside of the cake to the middle, repeating all the way around the cake.
- Dust powdered sugar over the top.
- Drizzle warm caramel over the top, or make a caramel glaze.
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Insert a toothpick into the middle of the bundt cake. If it comes back clean, the cake is ready. If you see crumbs or batter, your bundt needs to bake longer.
I make sure to use a spray coconut oil for my bundt cake pan. I spray it twice just to make sure I don't miss a spot. There is nothing more frustrating than having the cake stick to the pan!
You can bake this in a cake pan, or make it in a bread loaf pan.
You can make this recipe dairy-free by using butter. This recipe already calls for a non-dairy milk.
You can make this bundt cake nut-free by omitting the walnuts and using a different non-dairy milk like flaxseed milk.
More gluten free apple recipes you will love:
- Gluten Free Honey Apple Galette - so easy to make with my homemade flaky pie crust recipe!
- The whole family will love these Gluten Free Apple Crumble Bars.
- Paleo Apple Donuts - These donuts are healthier than other donuts with no refined sugars. You can serve these up for breakfast with no guilt!
Gluten Free Apple Bundt Cake
- 2 ½ cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 4 apples chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, add your dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl, add your wet ingredients and whisk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add the apples and walnuts.
- Mix very gently. Do not overmix the cake. Mix until it is just barely mixed otherwise your cake can turn out more dense.
- Pour into a greased bundt pan. I used spray coconut oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Do a toothpick test to see if your cake is done baking. (see note)
- When done baking, remove from the oven. Tilt the pan so your cake falls onto a cooling rack. Allow cooling before topping the cake.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free strawberry desserts e-cookbook!)