These Gluten free Chocolate Madeleines are perfect for the holidays. They have just the right amount of chocolate peppermint flavor for the holidays!
Madeleines are so soft, yet they have a touch of crispiness to their outer edges. Top with broken pieces of peppermint candy.
This holiday season is about making memories. For our family, that means having my kids in the kitchen helping me cook. (And did my kids have fun smashing peppermint candies for this recipe!)
If you love those adorable little French Madeleine cookies you see in bakeries, this gluten free peppermint chocolate cookie recipe is going to be a treat for you. These little peppermint Madeleine cookies are chocolaty, minty, and completely irresistible. You can dress them up with icing, dip them in chocolate, or just enjoy them plain.
You can make this gluten free Madeleines recipe for holiday cookie exchanges, teacher gifts, or just eating with a glass of milk like my kids do.
I made these chocolate cookies with my kids and somehow, my kids managed to get batter, icing, and crushed peppermint candies everywhere. (At least our ceiling was spared!)
Why do kids do this? I don’t mean toddlers, I mean MY teens. They should know how to add flour to a bowl without it coating every surface of the kitchen by now.
Luckily, these cookies are so easy to make. Clean up should be a breeze, right? HA!
Making This Gluten Free Chocolate Madeleine Recipe:
Mix up the chocolate Madeleine cookie batter and bake in a Madeleine pan. Remember not to overfill each little section of the pan.
The batter will puff up a little as you can see in this photo.
Ideas to Modify This Recipe:
I used an icing glaze and top with crushed peppermint candy or candy canes. (And if you let your kids crush the candy canes, put the candy in a ziplock bag and then have them crush away!)
- You can use Peppermint circle candy or candy canes! Have fun smashing!
- Dip half of the Madeleine in white chocolate
- Top with mini M&Ms instead of candy cane if you don’t want the extra crunch.
More Delicious Gluten Free Holiday Cookie Recipes to Try:
- Gluten Free Vanillekipferl
- Gluten Free Ginger Cookies
- Gluten Free Pfeffernusse Cookies
- Gluten Free Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Tools You Need To Make This Gluten Free Chocolate Madeleine Recipe:
- Madeleine pan…how else will you get these cute shapes?
- Mixing bowls. I love these bowls because the rubber bottoms prevent them from sliding all around the counter when you mix your ingredients.
- 3/4 lb cup Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour, (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Icing, I used Wilton's
- Crushed peppermint candy or candy canes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spray coconut oil in a Madeleine pan to prevent sticking.
- Put a little batter in each section.
- Bake for 10 minutes until done.
- Drizzle icing and top with crushed peppermint candy or candy canes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 115mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 12g Protein: 3g