These Gluten free Chocolate Madeleines are perfect for the holidays. They have just the right amount of chocolate peppermint flavor for the holidays!
Madeleines are so soft, yet they have a touch of crispiness to their outer edges. Top with broken pieces of peppermint candy.
This holiday season is about making memories. For our family, that means having my kids in the kitchen helping me cook. (And did my kids have fun smashing peppermint candies for this recipe!)
If you love those adorable little French Madeleine cookies you see in bakeries, this gluten free peppermint chocolate cookie recipe is going to be a treat for you. These little peppermint Madeleine cookies are chocolaty, minty, and completely irresistible. You can dress them up with icing, dip them in chocolate, or just enjoy them plain.
You can make this gluten free Madeleines recipe for holiday cookie exchanges, teacher gifts, or just eating with a glass of milk like my kids do.
I made these chocolate cookies with my kids and somehow, my kids managed to get batter, icing, and crushed peppermint candies everywhere. (At least our ceiling was spared!)
Why do kids do this? I don’t mean toddlers, I mean MY teens. They should know how to add flour to a bowl without it coating every surface of the kitchen by now.
Luckily, these cookies are so easy to make. Clean up should be a breeze, right? HA!
How to make this gluten free chocolate madeleine recipe:
Mix up the chocolate Madeleine cookie batter and bake in a Madeleine pan. Remember not to overfill each little section of the pan.
What gluten free flour is best for Madeleines?
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn’t mean other blends won’t work, I just haven’t tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
What cocoa powder is gluten free?
The batter will puff up a little as you can see in this photo.
Fun ideas to modify this recipe:
I used an icing glaze and top with crushed peppermint candy or candy canes. (And if you let your kids crush the candy canes, put the candy in a ziplock bag and then have them crush away!)
- You can use Peppermint circle candy or candy canes! Have fun smashing!
- Dip half of the Madeleine in white chocolate
- Top with mini M&Ms instead of candy cane if you don’t want the extra crunch.
More Delicious Gluten Free Holiday Cookie Recipes to Try:
- Gluten Free Vanillekipferl
- Gluten Free Ginger Cookies
- Gluten Free Pfeffernusse Cookies
- Gluten Free Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Tools You Need To Make This Recipe:
- Madeleine pan…how else will you get these cute shapes?
- Mixing bowls. I love these bowls because the rubber bottoms prevent them from sliding all around the counter when you mix your ingredients.
- 3/4 lb cup Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour, (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Icing, I used Wilton's
- Crushed peppermint candy or candy canes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spray coconut oil in a Madeleine pan to prevent sticking.
- Put a little batter in each section.
- Bake for 10 minutes until done.
- Drizzle icing and top with crushed peppermint candy or candy canes
If your gluten free flour blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum, add 1 teaspoon.
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 115mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g