Gluten free pumpkin mousse has the traditional flavor and texture of mousse along with delicious spices of fall. It’s easy to fall head over heels in love with this pumpkin recipe because it’s scrumptious. Not only is it gluten free, but there is a dairy-free option too!
Old-fashioned pumpkin flavor that is velvety, rich, and creamy. It has the perfect amount of pumpkin spices and is a wonderful way to end dinner. This dairy-free pumpkin mousse (if you use the full-fat coconut milk option) is an unforgettable dessert that leaves you begging for more.
I can’t help it. I love pumpkin. It is not only filled with vitamins and nutrients, but it works really well in desserts!
Fall has always been my favorite time of year. The weather cools down a little bit, the kids get settled into their school routine, Halloween costumes are chosen…..and pumpkin recipes are all over the internet.
Mr. Fearless Dining has been literally BEGGING me to make this easy pumpkin mousse recipe. The entire Fearless Dining house loves to nibble on all things pumpkin as soon as the first leaf hits the ground. Just kidding, they want it BEFORE the first leaf falls. I am just as guilty because pumpkin is such a comforting flavor. One thing is for sure! I am so glad you are here and that you can make this gluten free pumpkin mousse soon because I think you are going to enjoy it greatly.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Recipes for Fall
Have you noticed all of the pumpkin recipes that come out every fall?”
In the mood for some new pumpkin recipes? You are in luck because I have several tasty recipes with your name on them!
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats
- The Perfect Gluten Free Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Candied Pumpkin Chocolate Cups Candy
- Easy Fall Gluten Free Pumpkin 7 Layer Bars
It is almost a shame to put away the cans of organic pumpkin after Halloween.
- Pumpkin puree
- Heavy cream or a can of full fat coconut milk
- Powdered sugar
- Maple syrup
How to make gluten free pumpkin mousse:
Add the pumpkin, sugar, egg yolks, gelatin, and spices to a pan. Simmer while whisking until it comes to a very gentle boil. Allow it to cool.
Here is a shot of the pumpkin mixture cooling.
In a large bowl, add the heavy cream (or cold coconut milk) and powdered sugar and whip until it forms stiff peaks.
Add the pumpkin mixture to the whipped cream.
Gently fold in the cooled pumpkin mixture into the whipped cream.
Add to glasses and refrigerate for 90 minutes to set and get cold. I piped my mousse by putting it into a plastic frosting bag. I used a large, wide-opening tip and piped the mousse straight into the glass.
Feel free to make and enjoy this pumpkin custard just as I have written the recipe. But if you want to add some extra ingredients, that is fine too! Make it your own and savor every bite. Try some of these ideas.
- Candied Nuts – Top with your favorite nuts. If you are looking for inspiration, try my honey roasted cashews because they are seriously out of this world amazing. The flavor goes perfectly with the pumpkin spice.
- White Chocolate – Pumpkin and chocolate just have a way of complimenting each other so well. Try it out!
- Toffee – You are going to be hooked when you taste my homemade toffee recipe with this pumpkin custard recipe. Yum!
- Caramel Sauce – Add a drizzle or two of your go-to caramel sauce recipe.
To make candied pecans, toss the pecans with maple syrup. Bake at 300F degrees for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and add to the top of the pumpkin mousse.
Should Mousse Be Served Hot Or Cold?
You can actually eat this gluten free pumpkin mousse hot or cold, but it will taste WAY better cold. It will taste a little different each way you eat it, but it’s delicious regardless.
How Do You Know When Mousse Is Done?
First, try to jiggle the mousse to test to see if it is soft but firm. If it jiggles a bunch, then it should chill a little bit longer.
How Long Does Mousse Last?
This gluten free pumpkin mousse should last around 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Looking for more gluten free dessert recipes? Here are a few more for you to look at.
- Mouthwatering Gluten Free Churros
- Gluten Free Maple Ginger Butternut Squash Tart
- Dairy-Free Salted Caramel Panna Cotta
- Irresistible Gluten Free Caramel Apple Cake
(*Note this post was updated with new photos from a very old Aug 2015 post.)
- 1 1/2 cups organic pumpkin puree
- 1 pint heavy cream or a cold can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon collagen protein
- 3 large eggs separated
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (for the pecans)
- In a bowl, add pumpkin, egg yolks, sugar, and spices. Whisk in the collagen protein.
- Simmer on low heat until mixture barely boils, whisking frequently.
- Allow to fully cool.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the heavy cream and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar into whipped cream.
- Add cooled pumpkin mixture to the whipped cream.
- Fold in the pumpkin gently.
- Spoon or pipe the mousse into bowls or glasses and allow to cool.
- Toss the pecans and maple syrup and bake at 300F degrees for 10-12 minutes.
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This doesn't change the cost you pay for an item, it just means a tiny commission comes to Fearless Dining to help offset the costs of running this blog.
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 5), Non Slip Colorful Silicone Bottom Nesting Storage Bowls by Aammaxs-yyi, Polished Mirror Finish For Healthy Meal Mixing and Prepping 1.5-2 - 2.5-3.5 - 7QT
Electric Cordless Kitchen Hand Mixer - Portable Handheld Rechargeable Stainless Steel Whisk Machine with 3 Speed Settings - for Egg, Cake, Dough, Glue Pudding, Bread, Cookies
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 534 Total Fat: 38g Saturated Fat: 20g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 183mg Sodium: 62mg Carbohydrates: 45g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 40g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g
If you love fall mousse, give this Kabocha Squash Mousse a try.