There is nothing more adorable, playful and delicious than this gluten free unicorn cake. It is perfect for birthday celebrations, parties or when you just want a scrumptious dessert. Impress your friends and family with this DIY unicorn cake, and they will rave about it.
This gluten free strawberry cake is made with a succulent strawberry puree topped with a sweet and flavorful frosting. The ears of this tasty unicorn are made from Peeps! Can you believe fondant unicorn horn is a combination of melted Peeps and powdered sugar?
You can also use this Gluten Free Vanilla Cake base under the unicorn decor!
It is impossible to look at this gluten free unicorn cake and not fall in love with it! My daughter did a beautiful job decorating, and I know you will do a great job too! No matter what, just have fun with it! Add your own colors, flair, and style.
Imagine the look on your kid’s faces when you serve unicorn birthday cake this year! It would be especially fun to make a unicorn smash cake for your one-year-old baby! You could also serve it for a baby shower, Mother’s Day celebration, or just because you want to make a unicorn cake!
If you are just starting out with gluten free baking, don’t stress. I can give you tons of guidance along the way. Feel free to send me an email with questions, and I will gladly help.
Also, take a look at these Gluten Free Diet Tips for lots of helpful information on gluten free living.
Love This Unicorn Birthday Cake? Try some of these other drool-worthy cake recipes:
- Easy Gluten Free Vanilla Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie Cake
- Amazing Gluten Free Carrot Layer Cake
- Gluten Free Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake
Can I use a different kind of fruit instead of strawberry?
Yes, absolutely! I used strawberry because we had it on hand and because we love the flavor of strawberry cake. Plus, My daughter and I wanted our cake to have a pink tint without using icky food coloring. You can add in whatever fruit you enjoy and have on-hand. Here are some ideas:
Are you ready to see how to make a unicorn cake?
The first step is to make the cake under the cute decorations!! Pour the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend.
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn’t mean other blends won’t work, I just haven’t tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
Place fresh strawberries to this amazing mini food processor and liquify your fruit!
Put all of the wet ingredients into a bowl and whisk to blend.
Use these fabulously inexpensive mini cake pans so you have lots of cake layers. Bake at 35F degrees for 18 minutes. Make your frosting (recipe below). Take 1/4 of the frosting and set it aside.
Add one layer of cake and frost the top, add the next layer and continue until all of the layers are frosted. Next, frost the sides and top and smooth the frosting out.
How to make frosting swirls
Now you will want to color the frosting you set aside. Divide the frosting into bowls (depending on how many colors you want). Add a different coloring to each bowl.
Put a couple of spoonfuls of each color frosting to the frosting bag. It is hard to see in this shot, but there are 3 different colors in the bag. When you make the swirls, it comes out rainbow swirl.
Make lots of swirls to be the mane and forelock. Go down the back of the cake as well like a unicorn mane.
Take a Peep, that fun Easter candy that is so hard to resist. Cut it in half and use the bottom half for the ear. Feel free to use white crystal sugar to coat the inside of the ear as we did.
How to make a fondant unicorn horn
Here is how my daughter created that cool pink unicorn horn for her gluten free unicorn cake. We didn’t have fondant, but we read you can make it with marshmallow.
Did you know you can make fondant with Peeps?
I kid you not…my daughter is a genius with all baking cheats. She melted an entire package of Peeps (pink) and added powdered sugar until it was thick enough to mold with her hands.
Use your hands to mold a horn shape. Keep in mind you can use any color peeps to make the horn. I have seen peeps in green, yellow, blue, purple, pink, and red.
Can I make cupcakes with this unicorn cake recipe?
Yes, you sure can! Follow the instructions as directed and bake in a lined muffin tin. You will want to scale down the size of tip you use to decorate with the icing, cut smaller ears and make a smaller unicorn horn.
Can I freeze leftover cake?
Yes, this unicorn head cake can be frozen. It freezes best if you can cut it into slices and wrap them individually with plastic wrap. Then place all of the pieces of cake in a freezer bag or airtight container. The cake will taste best if it is consumed within 3-6 months of freezing.
Looking for more unicorn cake decorating ideas?
Remember to have fun when making your unicorn cake. You could even make several and let your kids decorate their own. Here are some fun ideas to try:
- Chocolate Crown – Add a fun chocolate crown to your unicorn head cake.
- Sprinkles – Everything has a little extra glamour when you add some adorable sprinkles. I love these pink sugar pearls.
- Bright Colors – Your unicorn can be as different as you want, I mean it is a unicorn after all! Add some bright blue, red, purple, or anything else you like.
- There are so many fun ways to decorate a Unicorn Cake with a box mix…check out this tutorial for more ideas.
- For The Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups strawberry puree
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup almond milk (or other dairy or non-dairy milk)
- For Frosting:
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons water (add 4 and then add the other two as needed)
- Food coloring as needed
- For Ears and Horn:
- 2 Peeps (for ears - do not melt)
- 6 Peeps, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend.
- In a mini food processor or blender, puree the strawberries.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the wet ingredients and the strawberry puree and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Spray the layer pans with coconut oil.
- Pour the cake batter into the layer pans and bake for 18-20 minutes until done.
- Allow the cake to cool while you make the frosting.
- Add the frosting ingredients to a standing mixer.
- Mix well until the frosting is creamy.
- When the cake is cool, add a layer to a plate and frost the top, add the next layer and frost the top. Once all layers are frosted, frost the top and sides and use a frosting scraper to smooth.
- Divide the remaining frosting into several bowls.
- Add food coloring to each and stir.
- Add frosting from each bowl to the bag, careful not to mix them.
- Use the frosting bag to swirl circles on the top of the cake, going down the back. This is the "mane" section so include a little on the forehead area for the forelock.
- Take two Peeps and cut them in half. These are the Unicorn's ears.
- Grab the rest of the Peeps and add to a bowl. Melt the Peeps at 20 second intervals in the microwave, stirring between each interval.
- When the Peeps are melted, add the powdered sugar gradually, a little at a time to mix it in. As the mixture thickens, it becomes like fondant. When the mixture is stiffer, shape it into a Unicorn horn.
- Use food coloring or an edible marker to draw the eyes and mouth.
Using peeps and powdered sugar is a great way to make a homemade fondant for shaping the unicorn horn!
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- Wilton 2104-1364 Cupcake Decorating Icing Tips, 12-Piece Set, Silver
- Homeries 6-Piece Cake Decorating Supplies Kit - Turntable with 3 Decorating Comb/Icing Smoothers + 2 Stainless Steel Icing Spatulas - Best for Cake Decorating Training and Party Planning Display
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 229mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 1gSugar: 52gProtein: 3g