The whole family is going to love this hearty ground pork chili recipe. Not only is this recipe easy to make, but you can vary the level of spice so that even your picky ones will love the flavor! Make it in under 30 minutes.
Winter is the time when we love chili... which may sound strange given we are from Texas where chili cook-offs happened all year long! Chili is comfort food for the whole family, except for my picky one :-).
Dive your fork into the chunks of ground pork, kidney beans, and hatch green chiles because they blend together perfectly for a flavorful bite! This chili recipe is perfect for lunch, dinner, potluck, or game day!
Why This Chili Is Great:
- Rich flavor: Pork has a rich flavor that pairs well with the spices and seasonings I used in this recipe.
- Versatility: Pork chili can be made with a variety of ingredients, including beans, vegetables, and different types of chili peppers. This lets you customize the ingredients even more for a lot of flexibility in terms of flavor and texture.
- Nutritional value: Pork is a good source of protein making it a hearty and satisfying meal. I also love that often ground pork meat is less expensive than other ground meat types.
- Comforting and filling: Chili is a classic comfort food that can be enjoyed on its own or with other accompaniments like rice, tortilla chips, or gluten free cornbread. It's also a filling dish that can keep you satisfied for hours.
Try my recipe and see how tasty and satisfying this chili with pork can be. It is perfect for a cold winter day or whenever you're in the mood for something hearty and delicious.
- Ground Pork - This recipe was created to showcase the flavor of ground pork, but ground beef, turkey, and bison will also work well in this recipe.
- Onions - Use yellow onions.
- Peppers - Use any color of bell peppers. For more spice, feel free to add include other types of pepper like jalapeños and roasted hatch green chiles.
- Carrots - This is totally optional, but the sweetness from the carrots helps accent the ground pork
- Garlic Cloves - Use minced fresh or jarred garlic.
- Peeled Canned Tomatoes - I really like San Marzano tomatoes.
- Kidney Beans - I used canned beans, rinsed, and drained.
- Seasonings - Cumin, chili powder, and chipotle chili powder/flakes.
- Garnishes - Cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and scallions
- Substitute ground beef or ground turkey for the ground pork.
- If you don't have kidney beans on hand, use black beans or pinto beans.
You will also love making these Gluten Free Corn Dumplings in this chili recipe!
If you are looking for another great family-friendly recipe with ground pork, you will want to try this Ground Pork Fried Rice recipe too!
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Step 1: Add oil to a pot and heat on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and ground pork. Cook until the meat is browned.
Step 2: Add the rest of the ingredients to the cooked pork. Use a large wooden spoon to break up the peeled tomatoes.
Step 3: Bring the chili mixture to a boil then cover and reduce the heat to low to simmer for 20 minutes.
The longer this pork chili cooks, the more the flavors merge and blend together so if you are not in a hurry, I recommend letting it cook longer. Stir halfway through cooking.
Step 4: Enjoy! You can top your chili with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, scallions, chives, guacamole...or anything you like!
This is my favorite product! You can freeze leftover soup, pasta sauce, chili, stews, and even smoothies in single-serving portions!
You can easily freeze this chili. Thaw in the microwave or stovetop. I love to freeze this in single-serve portions with the Souper Cubes shown above.
If there is a non-meat vegan substitute that you really enjoy, of course, feel free to use it instead of the meat in this recipe. I highly recommend Impossible meat.
This chili will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Store it in an airtight container.
If you love chili, this Padron Pepper Chili is pretty tasty too!
This recipe was updated from an older November 2019 post with more recipe details.
More Gluten Free Pork Recipes:
Hearty Ground Pork Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-3 tablespoons hatch green chiles depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 28 ounce can of peeled tomatoes
- 2 cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 tablespoon oil I used avocado
- In a pot, add the oil and let it warm for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the diced onion, carrots, garlic, and ground pork and cook until the pork is browned.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and continue to simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Top with cheddar, scallions, sour cream or anything else you like.
- You can use any ground meat in this recipe.
- You can use black, pinto, or kidney beans.
- This chili will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Looking for more? Get my FREE Gluten Free Lemon Desserts E-Cookbook when you sign up for my weekly recipe newsletter!