Soft sweet gluten free rum raisin cookies are a delicious cookie that you are going to love! I finally had time to work on my Grandma's homemade rum raisin cookie recipe and you are going to want to make a double batch because they are so good! They are the perfect anytime cookie, or make them over the holidays for a cookie exchange party.
Click for Table of Contents:
Rum raisin cookies are a popular cookie in Romania and I was really excited to get a hold of my Grandmother's recipe for these cookies a few years ago. This recipe has been in the family for ages, but I just recently rediscovered it. It was really easy to convert this recipe to gluten free so please let me know what you think!
*A quick note that the raisins are soaked in 1/4 cup of dark rum and some of that rum will not burn off. Should we put a cookie limit on these? If you do not want to use rum in your cookies but still want that rum flavor, McCormick makes a rum-flavored extract that is gluten free.
Why these cookies are great:
These cookies are great because they truly are spectacular! They are soft, yet crisp around the edges, and every bite has delicious dark rum-soaked raisins. These cookies are great for any time or give them a try for your holiday baking. I guarantee everyone is going to love these.
What you need to make them:
- Gluten free flour blend - I have tested King Arthur Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF Blend in this recipe. That doesn't mean other brands won't work, it just means I haven't tested the others.
- Xanthan Gum - if your gluten free blend doesn't contain this, you will need to add this or Guar Gum to hold this recipe together.
- Baking soda and salt
- Eggs - size large
- Butter - to make these cookies dairy-free, use vegan butter.
- Pure vanilla extract - please don't use imitation vanilla.
- Dark rum - if you prefer no alcohol, use McCormick rum extract.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Soak your raisins in dark rum or rum extract if you prefer no alcohol.
Step 2: Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to mix. Don't forget, if your gluten free flour blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum, add 1 tsp.
Step 3: In a smaller bowl, add your wet ingredients, including the soaked raisins, and mix well.
*Note you can also use a standing mixer if you prefer. Just add the wet ingredients and then slowly add your dry ingredients a little at a time until everything is mixed in.
Step 4: Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients.
Step 5: Mix into your rum raisin cookie dough. It should look like this photo.
Step 6: Use a cookie scoop to drop dough balls onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Use your hand to slightly to flatten.
Step 7: Bake for 9-10 minutes until done. One of the reasons I like to use parchment paper when baking cookies is you can slide the cookies easily off the cookie sheet onto the cooling rack. No spatula needed!
You definitely want to soak the raisins in rum, it adds so much flavor to these cookies.
No but you may want to use caution and not eat the whole batch. There is 1/4 cup of dark rum in this recipe. Some of the alcohol will burn off, but some will not.
Unfortunately, these cookies are not that healthy due to the sugar and dark rum.
These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More Delicious Cookie Recipes:
- Gluten free chocolate chip cookies
- Gluten free cowboy cookies
- Easy gluten free brookies
- Gluten free snickerdoodles
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Rum Raisin Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend *see note
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dark rum *see note
- 2 eggs large
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract do not use imitation
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add the rum and raisins. Microwave on high for 60 seconds. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add your dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Add the wet ingredients to a smaller bowl and whisk to mix.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and add the raisins and rum mixture. Mix well.
- (You can also use a standing mixer if you prefer.)
- Use a cookie scoop to drop the cookie balls onto a parchment paper lined cookies sheet.
- Bake 9-10 minutes until the cookies are done. Slide the parchment paper with the cookies off the cookie sheet and onto a cooling rack. The cookies will be soft, and that is normal. They will set as they cool.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend in this recipe. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- If you prefer not to use rum, you can substitute McCormick's rum extract for the dark rum.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)