If you love pie, these mini gluten free grape galettes are a delicious fruity snack for you to try. They taste just like a grape pie, but with only a bottom crust. These little fruit galettes are baked in mason jar lids and make a fun dessert for a dessert buffet.
If you haven't tried baking with grapes yet, I highly recommend it. Grapes are juicy and sweet and so easy to bake with.
Click for Table of Contents:
(*This post is sponsored by Grapes from California, the juicy fresh recipe and all opinions are my own.)
With the holidays coming up I wanted to create a delicious dessert that was easy to make but was fancy enough to be offered to guests as well. These gluten free grape galettes are not only full of grape pie filling flavor, but they are fun to make
What is Galette?
Have you ever made a gluten free galette recipe?
Galettes are different from tarts in several ways. Tarts have a stiff side and are more structured, whereas galettes are more forgiving and are made with pie crust that is folded over the filling.
Did you know that 99% of table grapes are grown right here in California? California Grapes are my kids' favorite fruit to snack on. Grapes can go anywhere...they are so easy to put in a lunchbox, picnic, bag, or container.
Why this recipe is great:
This recipe is one of my favorites because it makes cute little single serving desserts. Grapes are not a traditional pie filling, which makes this dessert unique. Mason jar lids allow you to make these little grape pies, then pop them out easily to serve.
Can you resist their fresh juicy flavor? Grapes from California are available in three vibrant colors: green, red, and black and are in-season May through January.
What you need to make this recipe:
- Gluten free flour blend - I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Butter - To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- Grapes - You can use any color you like. I used black grapes for this recipe.
Check out this Gluten Free Pie list next because there are over 50 gluten free pie recipes to try!
Recipe step by step directions:
These mini gluten free pies are so easy to make! The first step is to make the grape pie filling recipe. Grape pie filling is a little less traditional, but it is so full of flavor!
Step 1: The filling is just grapes, lemon juice and zest, sugar, and tapioca starch.
The grapes cook into this wonderful pie filling.
Step 2: Cut the butter into the flour, then gradually add milk until you get a crust.
You will want to use my flaky gluten free pie crust recipe. It is light and flaky, and makes the best gluten free pies!
Step 3: Use the mason jar lid to cut the crusts out. Put the circle of crust into the lid, then add pie filling and bake! Take a bite!
Step 4: Press each pie crust circle into a greased mason jar lid. I sprayed my lids with coconut oil.
Step 5: Add the grape pie filling to each mason jar lid. Fold the crust slightly over the grapes.
Step 6: Bake at 350º F for 20 minutes. Eat when they are cooled.
More filling ideas:
- plums like in this gluten free plum galette recipe.
If you want a full-sized delicious galette, try this easy Gluten Free Honey Apple Galette. I made it in a cast iron skillet, but you can also bake it on a cookie sheet!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can easily make this recipe dairy-free by using cold vegan stick butter.
Store your grapes unwashed, and then wash the grapes before you eat them. ¾ a cup of grapes has only 90 calories, with no fat or cholesterol, making them a delicious healthy snack. Grapes of all colors are a source of antioxidants and polyphenols.
These galettes will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Black Grape Galettes
- 3 cups grapes * see not
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- dash salt
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter cold
- ¼ cup water may need more, add 1 TBSP at a time.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a sauce pan, add the first 6 ingredients. Cook on medium low for 10 minutes. Mash the grapes while cooking with the back of a spatula.
- Remove the grape pie filling from the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, add flour, salt, and butter. Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour until it is crumbly.
- Add water a little at a time. Mix well. When crust is formed, stop adding milk.
- Put down a piece of wax paper and put the dough on top. Cover with another piece of wax paper and roll to ¼ inch thickness.
- Use the mason jar lid to cut out the pie crust circles. Remove the dough circle and put into the mason jar lid. Continue until all 10 are filled with dough. Spoon in some grape pie filling into each.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the crust is flaky.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend.. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- You can use any color grape to make this recipe.
- These galettes will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)