If you miss goldfish crackers, my homemade Gluten Free Goldfish Crackers will become one of your kids' favorite snacks! You will love these simple directions! You won't believe how the crispy cheese flavors!
Some of my toddlers' first snacks were those popular goldfish crackers. When we all went gluten free, we missed those so much. Now, with my easy gluten free goldfish recipe, everyone can enjoy goldfish crackers again!
This recipe is very close to my homemade Gluten Free Cheez Its recipe. The flavors of both crackers are very similar. I include a lot of tips and tricks so your goldfish turn out crispy and amazing!
Why this goldfish recipe is great:
This recipe is great because it is made with real, easy-to-find ingredients. You only need 5 ingredients! Kids love the crispy crackers and my recipe is so easy to make in just 30 minutes!
If you are always on the hunt for great kid snacks, you will also want to try this no-bake Protein Snack Balls recipe.
- Gluten free flour blend - I tested this recipe using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Butter - The colder the better!
- Cheddar cheese - Use shredded sharp cheddar. Many ask if this can be made dairy-free with vegan cheese. The answer is not really. Vegan cheese melts differently and it these crackers do not get as crispy with vegan cheese.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Add all of the ingredients to a food processor. Pulse on medium speed until a dough ball forms in the food processor.
Step 2: Place your dough ball onto a piece of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll it out to ¼ inch thickness.
Step 3: Grab your little goldfish cookie cutter and cut out goldfish. I had to use a handle of a knife to push out the dough, that is normal, just flip them over so the knife mark doesn't show.
Step 4: Continue to cut out little goldfish crackers. Make sure there is space between each cracker.
Step 5: This cutter does get some dough stuck in the underside. Just use a knife to push the dough out every 20 or so goldfish.
Step 6: Sprinkle lightly with salt and gently slide the cookie sheet under the goldfish. Bake at 350º F for 8-10 minutes.
Step 7: This makes a lot of goldfish and I ended up baking mine in 3 batches. Take the unused dough and ball it up. Wrap in plastic wrap to cool again while the first batch bakes. This will keep it cold enough between batches.
For reference and why it is so important to use a very cold dough, these two gluten free goldfish are from different batches. The smaller one has less spread because the dough was colder. The one on the right I had warmer dough and it spread a bit.
If you are looking for another kid-friendly snack, try my Gluten Free Granola Bars recipe too!
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
If you don't need these to be a Goldfish copycat in flavor, you can use any flavor of shredded cheese. Pepper jack is another yummy cheese to use.
Yes, shredded cheese should be gluten free. As a precaution, always double-check the labels.
For this recipe, I feel it is important to use a food processor because it blends and chops the shredded cheddar cheese into fine pieces. This is important for the flavor and texture of the crackers.
Goldfish crackers are pretty good as a healthy snack. Mine have no preservatives and use all real ingredients!
These gluten free goldfish crackers should keep up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
More fun gluten free snack recipes:
- Gluten Free Cowboy Cookies
- Honey Roasted Cashews
- Cinnamon Granola
- Gluten Free Sourdough Discard Crackers
Gluten Free Goldfish Crackers
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend * see note
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter COLD!
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until it forms a dough ball.
- Remove the dough ball and place it onto a large piece of parchment paper.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to ⅛ to ¼ inches thick. Take a goldfish cookie cutter and press it into the dough. use the back handle of a knife to pres the goldfish out of the cookie cutter if needed.
- Spread out the goldfish and repeat until you work through the dough.
- Take the dough scraps and wrap it in plastic. Place in the refrigerator to chill it again.
- Sprinkle the goldfish lightly with salt.
- Slide the parchment paper onto a cookie sheet. Bake the crackers for 8-10 minutes and remove from the oven to cool.
- Repeat until you use up all of the dough. It took me 3 batches because you want the dough to be really cold.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- I have not found a way to make this recipe dairy-free and still taste like goldfish crackers. Dairy-free cheese doesn't melt the same and it affects the cracker texture.
- These crackers will keep up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)