You are going to love the sweet-tart qualities in this fresh red currant margarita recipe. Course ginger sugar on the rim brings out the best of this drink’s flavors.
This vibrant red cocktail is perfect for Valentine’s Day, or anytime you want a fun happy hour cocktail. Cocktails with currants are show stoppers and are a big hit at any party! Don’t forget to check out all of my fancy drinks recipes!
Red currants and fun facts
I feel like I scored at our local produce market this week. They had both red and white currants for only $4 a pint. I almost never see fresh red currants, so I quickly grabbed a box of each color. The color of these tart berries is so pretty, I decided to make a fun happy hour cocktail with them.
- Red currants are primarily ripe in the summer, as most berries are. They come in Red, white, and black varieties.
- These berries are tart!
- Currants are considered super-fruits and they have many nutritional benefits including Vitamins C, K, Magnesium, and Potassium. They are also high in antioxidants.
- Did you know red currant is in many facial masks because they are considered to firm up your skin?
Can you use currant syrup if you can’t find fresh currants?
Yes! You can definitely use currant syrup in this recipe. Note many are sweetened, which will change the flavor of this cocktail slightly. We have several European specialty grocers here in the Bay Area. If you can’t find it in your area, you can order it via Amazon.
Now that you know so much more about this berry, let’s talk about margaritas! My thought for this craft cocktail was to combine margarita flavors with the tart berries, and to add a little sweet orange juice to counteract the tartness.
The homemade ginger sugar that I used on the rim adds the finishing touches and really compliments the margarita flavors. You can buy ginger infused sugar, or you can make homemade ginger sugar.
This tutorial from Self Reliant School is one of the best as she walks you through every step to make this ginger sugar.
Fun Appetizers to Enjoy with Margaritas:
- Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms
- Cheesy Cream Cheese Dip
- Gluten Free Fried Mozzarella Sticks
- Baked Turmeric Chicken Wings
You may also like this delicious Strawberry Margarita recipe from my friend.
Tools You Need To Make This Recipe:
How to make a margarita with red currants:
- 1/4 cup red currants
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 tablespoons raspberry Torani syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces orange liquor
- 1 tablespoon ginger sugar
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker.
- Mash the red currants and add to a cocktail shaker.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except the ginger sugar.
- Rub lime around the rim of the glass. Roll the rim in the ginger sugar.
- Strain the margarita into each margarita glass and drink cold.
If you can't find fresh red currants, you can use a currant syrup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 5gSugar: 27gProtein: 1g