You are going to love the sweet tart qualities in this fresh red currant margarita recipe. Course ginger sugar on the rim brings out the best of this drink’s flavors.
Red Currants and Fun Facts
I feel like I scored at our local produce market this week. They had both red and white currants for only $4 a pint. I almost never see fresh red currants, so I quickly grabbed a box of each color. The color of these tart berries is so pretty, I decided to make a fun happy hour cocktail with them.
- Red currants are primarily ripe in the summer, as most berries are. They come in Red, white, and black varieties.
- These berries are tart!
- Currants are considered super-fruits and they have many nutritional benefits including Vitamins C, K, Magnesium, and Potassium. They are also high in antioxidants.
- Did you know red currant is in many facial masks because they are considered to firm up your skin?
Now that you know so much more about this berry, let’s talk about margaritas! My thought for this craft cocktail was to combine margarita flavors with the tart berries, and to add a little sweet orange juice to counteract the tartness.
The ginger sugar that I used on the rim adds the finishing touches and really compliments the margarita flavors.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
(*Note, you can also make your own ginger sugar with these easy tips!)
How to make a margarita with red currants:
These easy red currant margaritas with a ginger sugar rim are perfect for happy hour.
- 1/4 cup red currants
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 orange juiced
- 2 tablespoons raspberry Torani syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces orange liquor
- 1 tablespoon ginger sugar
Add ice to a cocktail shaker.
Mash the red currants and add to a cocktail shaker.
Add in the rest of the ingredients except the ginger sugar.
Rub lime around the rim of the glass. Roll the rim in the ginger sugar.
Strain the margarita into each margarita glass and drink cold.
More Yummy Cocktails to Try!