These crispy gluten free sourdough discard crackers are a special treat you can make with sourdough discard! They are full of the good stuff like sunflower seeds and herbs then topped with coarse salt. Dip them in your favorite dips, or munch on them plain!
If you have been looking for that perfect way to use some of your discard, this sourdough discard recipe is a great way to use it up!
You are going to love this new crackers recipe. They are the ultimate cracker to serve with cheese or dips! I have had my sourdough starter for a few months now. I have been stuck in a rut, mostly making gluten free sourdough pizza with it. I was dumping my discard, and realized what a waste that is!
Mr. Fearless Dining loves to snack on crackers, and as you know, store-bought gluten free crackers can be expensive. I decided to try making some crackers out of my discard and they taste so good, I may not buy store-bought again!
Discarded sourdough starter recipes are all the rage and I can't wait to share more with you as my sourdough starter keeps growing. If you want to make your own easy 5-day sourdough starter, try this easy Gluten Free Sourdough Starter recipe.
Why this sourdough crackers recipe is great:
These crispy sourdough crackers can be made with your regular discard, or use your sourdough starter discard to make them! This recipe is flexible with lots of easy mix-in flavor options! You can keep these crackers vegan, or add in cheese for extra flavor.
Ingredients and notes:
- Gluten free flour blend - I used a 50-50 combination of regular flour blend and corn flour.
- Sourdough starter - This is the main moisture for this cracker recipe and is where much of the flavor comes from.
- Butter - I used unsalted butter. If you use salted butter, you may need to adjust how much salt you add.
- Sunflower seeds - I use raw sunflower seeds.
- Olive oil - This is for brushing over the cracker dough before baking. You can use a different oil if you prefer
- Herbs - For this recipe, you want to use dried herbs so your crackers don't get mushy parts.
- Cheddar or parmesan cheese
- Seeds like chia or flaxseed
- Everything bagel seasoning
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Add all of the ingredients to a bowl. This includes the wet and dry ingredients.
Step 2: Mix the ingredients into a stiff dough. You can mix this by hand, or use a standing mixer.
Step 3: Use your hands to form a ball out of the dough. Wrap it in plastic wrap and chill for 30-45 minutes in the refrigerator.
Step 4: Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough. Make it thin so your sourdough discard crackers turn out crispy! Look at all of the seeds and herbs in there!!
Step 5: Use a pizza wheel or sharp knife to cut out your cracker shapes. You can cut out any shape you like...or use a small cookie cutter to cut out circle shape.
Step 6: Brush the tops of the crackers with olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt!
Step 7: Bake at 350º F for 20-25 minutes until crispy.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
The flavor of these cookies comes from the sourdough discard. I don't think they will turn out the same without it.
You can add sourdough discard to so many recipes. It adds a nice distinct flavor to baked goods.
These crackers should keep in an air-tight container up to a week.
If you love crackers as much as we do, you should also try my Gluten Free Cheez Its recipe!!
If you love using sourdough, check out more of my Gluten Free Sourdough Recipes!
Dip the crackers into these delicious dips:
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Sourdough Discard Crackers
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend * see note
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme * see note
- 1 cup sourdough discard
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for brushing over the crackers
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, seeds, herbs, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the sourdough starter and melted butter and mix well.
- Wrap your dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough. Make it thin so your crackers turn out crispy! Loo
- Use a pizza wheel or sharp knife to cut out the cracker shapes.
- Brush the top of the crackers with olive oil. Optional dust the tops of the crackers with coarse salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the crackers are crispy.
- I used ½ cup gluten free flour blend and ½ cup corn flour. You can use any gluten free flours that equal a cup, depending on the flavor you want your crackers to be.
- Use any seeds/herbs/cheeses in this cracker base recipe. Here are some of my favorites: Cheddar or parmesan cheese, seeds like chia or flaxseed, or everything bagel seasoning
- These crackers will keep up to one week in an air-tight container.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)