If you are looking for a gluten free breakfast that uses just a few simple ingredients, you need to try this savory bacon, egg, and potato skillet! You can make this easy breakfast in about 15 minutes.
My kids are big bacon lovers. It adds incredible flavor to your meals, and it is a great way to camouflage veggies. I was able to load up healthy fresh spinach into this recipe, and I got zero complaints. It is the magic of bacon.
This cast iron egg skillet is popular, and if you have mini cast iron skillets, you can let your family customize the fillings in their egg skillets! It is a win-win.
Take your typical breakfast potatoes to a whole new level! If you love breakfast as much as we do, give all of my delicious gluten free breakfast recipes a try!
Why this cast iron skillet breakfast is great:
- All you need are 5 ingredients. They are all simple ingredients, and you can mix and match your flavor fillings or use the ones I used.
- You can load in some green vegetables like spinach. Bacon will camouflage the flavor beautifully!
- This is a great budget recipe and will feed a large family!
- You can make this breakfast potatoes skillet recipe ahead!
- Hash browns - I like the Alexia brand, which is gluten free. There are other brands of frozen hash browns, be sure to read the ingredient labels.
- Spinach - I recommend using fresh spinach. If you use frozen, please thaw and squeeze out the extra moisture.
- Eggs - Size large is best.
- Bacon - You can use any flavor, smoked, applewood, etc.
I absolutely love my 12-inch cast iron skillet. I use it for pancakes, skillet cakes, and many of my dinner recipes. It is easy to clean, and perfectly non-stick!
How to make an egg and potato skillet:
Step 1: In a large cast-iron skillet, add the onion and chopped bacon. Cook 2-3 minutes until the onions are soft. (Cook longer if you want your bacon crispy.)
Step 2: Add the hashbrowns and chopped spinach. Mix well and cook until the hashbrowns are slightly golden.
HINT: Stir frequently, so everything cooks evenly.
Step 3: Break eggs onto the hashbrown mixture.
Step 4: Sprinkle your favorite cheese over the eggs. I used a Mexican blend of cheeses.
Step 5: Cook for 5 minutes then place the cast-iron skillet under a broiler. This will cook the top of the eggs and brown the cheese. The broiling time will vary depending on if you like runny eggs or hard-cooked eggs.
Important - You must use a cast iron pan to broil the eggs and potatoes. A regular skillet is not designed to handle the heat of broiling. If you don't have a cast-iron skillet, cover the skillet and allow the eggs to cook through.
Need more gluten free breakfast ideas? I have a ton!
Enjoy! You can top this with salsa, sour cream, or anything you like!
Try some of these flavor variations:
- Use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes
- Sausage or ham
- Add different veggies like mushrooms or zucchini
- Make them spicy by adding green chiles!
To make this recipe ahead, brown the onions and bacon in the oil. Add the frozen hashbrowns and spinach. Wrap the (cooled!) cast-iron skillet with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 2 days uncooked.
This delicious bacon egg potato skillet will keep fresh for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Store in an air-tight container.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can definitely use freshly grated potatoes. Be sure to pat the moisture out with paper towels before putting them into the pan.
In my personal opinion, we LOVE potatoes and eggs for breakfast. They make a healthy breakfast.
More gluten free breakfast ideas:
- Easy Gluten Free Oatmeal Pancakes
- Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwiches
- Savory Gluten Free Frittata
- Kid-Friendly Egg Muffin Cups
- Tasty Hashbrown Casserole - use gluten-free cream of mushroom soup. You can find it at most grocery stores, and Walmart has a Great Value one that is gluten free.
Easy Egg Potato Breakfast Skillet
- 6 eggs large
- 4 cups hash browns frozen
- ⅓ cup onions
- 8 ounces bacon chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large cast-iron skillet, add the onion and chopped bacon. Cook 2-3 minutes until the onions are soft. (Cook longer if you want your bacon crispy.)
- Add the hashbrowns and chopped spinach. Mix well and cook until the hashbrowns are slightly golden.
- Break eggs onto the hashbrown mixture.
- Sprinkle your favorite cheese over the eggs. I used a Mexican blend of cheeses.
- Cook for 5 minutes then place the cast-iron skillet under a broiler. This will cook the top of the eggs and brown the cheese. The broiling time will vary depending on if you like runny eggs or hard-cooked eggs.
- Important - You must use a cast iron pan to broil the eggs and potatoes. A regular skillet is not designed to handle the heat of broiling. If you don't have a cast-iron skillet, cover the skillet and allow the eggs to cook through.
- Serve hot.
- You can use freshly grated potatoes instead of frozen but be sure to squeeze out the extra liquid with paper towels.
- I used cheddar, but you can use any flavor cheese you like.
- You can use any combination of ingredients and mix-ins. Sausage, mushrooms, etc. are all tasty in this recipe.
- This breakfast skillet will keep fresh up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Store in an air-tight container.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Looking for more? Get my FREE Gluten Free Lemon Desserts E-Cookbook when you sign up for my weekly recipe newsletter!