Cardamom is one of my favorite spices to bake with and the flavor is perfect in these Gluten Free Cardamom Cookies. I took my best gluten free sugar cookie recipe and adapted it to include cardamom to become the perfect holiday cookie!
If you love cookies as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free holiday cookies.
Grab your favorite cookie cutters because these gluten free cardamom cookies were made to be awesome cut-out cookies. Whether you are going for a festive shape like these snowflakes, or a more generic shape like a circle, these cookies are going to be good!
Our family loves to create gluten free Christmas cookies to give to family and friends. The cookies are so good, nobody knows they are gluten free!
If you like to bake up a storm, I hope you include this new cookie recipe in your baking adventures. (And you can pick up super cute holiday tins for gift giving. I found this tin for $1 at the dollar store down the street.)
Why these cookies are amazing:
This is one of my new favorite gluten free cookie recipes because not only are they perfect to use cookie cutters with, they taste incredible.
They are buttery and sweet, and the dough holds up really well moving from cookie cutter to the cookie sheet! These cookies are really easy to make, and you only need a few simple ingredients.
For another fun kind of sugar cookie, try these Gluten Free Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies Too!
- Gluten free flour blend - I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add it.
- Butter - use vegan butter if you are dairy-free.
- White chocolate - I have melted a lot of white chocolate and I think Ghirardelli's White Chocolate Melting Wafers is the best for decorating cookies.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Add your dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to blend.
Step 2: In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix well.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for one hour.
Step 3: Roll the dough to ⅓ inch thickness between two pieces of wax paper. I thought it would be fun to use this patterned rolling pin but it was a huge fail. Do not buy the ones at World Market!
Step 4: Use your cookie cutters to cut out shapes in the dough. Place each cookie on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
Step 5: Bake at 350º F for 8-10 minutes until done. Allow cooling. If you are going to dip these in white chocolate, here are the directions for that.
How to melt chocolate chips in a microwave:
Step 5: While the cookies are cooling, add chocolate chips to a microwave-safe dish. Cook for 25 seconds. Remove and stir the chips. Repeat and microwave for 20 seconds.
Continue to microwave at 20-second intervals until the chips are melted. Do not microwave for long intervals or you risk burning your chocolate.
Step 6: Dip in white chocolate and add sprinkles. Also, it is important to say...eat any that break!
One note about sprinkles. Not all sprinkles are gluten free. Many, including Wilton, are made on shared equipment with wheat. If you are Celiac or very sensitive, you will need to use a gluten free sprinkle.
If you ever wonder what you can do with the extra cookie dough, these adorable mini cookie cutters were perfect to make itsy bitsy gluten free Christmas cookies!
Check out which brands of sprinkles are gluten free!
More Holiday Cookies to Try:
- If you love those Danish butter cookies, this Gluten Free Butter Cookies recipe tastes just like them!
- These Gluten Free Swiss Brunsli Cookies are wildly popular to make.
- My family's German Gluten Free Pfeffernusse recipe converted to gluten free.
- Candied ginger is the star in this Candied Ginger Gluten Free Ginger Cookies recipe.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Cardamom Cookies
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- ½ cup sugar
- dash salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoons cardamom
- ⅔ cup butter melted, see note
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- In a large bowl, add your dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Add your wet ingredients into a smaller bowl and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Put the cookie dough onto plastic wrap and wrap the dough. Refrigerate one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350º F.
- Place the cookie dough between two sheets of wax paper and roll the cookie dough to ⅓ inch thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out cookies from the dough.
- Place the shapes onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove and allow cooling.
- Decorate or enjoy plain!
- I used King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten free flour blend in this recipe as photographed. I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF, Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend, and Authentic Foods Multi Blend in this recipe. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)