This simple gluten free mushroom stuffing is a great stuffing that you can make ahead to save time!
Gluten free dressing is one of those staple foods that is considered a Thanksgiving tradition. Keep reading down because I made a video to show you how easy this gluten free mushroom stuffing is to make!
Are you ready for the holidays? I feel like they come a little faster each year! Do you feel like this too?
We are scrambling to decide what recipes our family will make for the holidays. It can be difficult to narrow down our favorite recipes! How does one choose between this Gluten Free Butternut Squash Candied Ginger Tart and this Gluten Free Pumpkin Tart with Dark Rum?
The dressing is one of the most important parts of our Thanksgiving meal. It is one thing that you can easily make gluten free! In case you are wondering what gluten free bread is best for stuffing, you really can use any gluten free bread you like!”
What is in gluten free dressing?
This year we are making homemade gluten free dressing with persimmons, onions, and mushrooms. You can add all sorts of things to customize your stuffing when you make it from scratch! Give some of these ideas a try!
- Fresh cranberries
- Stone fruit
- Walnuts or pecans
You may also like this fun gluten free stuffing made with Maitake mushrooms, pears, and cranberries.
Stuffing vs Dressing Controversy
I must say I found out I inadvertently named this recipe incorrectly. Technically, since this is cooked outside of the bird, it should be considered a gluten free dressing. You can read about the stuffing vs dressing debate here.
What do you call it?
It sounds funny to me and I am tempted to buck the trend and just call this a gluten free stuffing. Are you okay with that?
What is the best gluten free bread to use to make stuffing?
You can use any bread to make this gluten free dressing recipe! Now I am not too sure about sweet raisin bread, but you can use multigrain bread, white bread, bagels, etc.
As for what brand of gluten free bread is best in stuffing, I will say again, use your favorite. I have used Udi’s, Franz, Canyon Bakehouse, and Trader Joe’s brand breads in this recipe and they all tasted great!
A lot of people wonder can stuffing be made ahead of time.
For this recipe, you can make this easy gluten free stuffing recipe ahead. I made this a few hours before baking without a problem. You do want to keep it refrigerated because it is made with chicken broth.
Are you ready to see how to make this easy gluten free dressing recipe?
- Sauté the onion, persimmon, mushrooms, and herbs in a pan with melted butter.
- When the onion is softened, add to the breadcrumbs. Add the broth and butter and toss to coat the breadcrumbs.
- Bake. Serve hot with gravy :-).
Here is a video I made to show you how to make this easy gluten free stuffing recipe. I had hoped for overhead shots in this video, but I tried a new video app. I inadvertently shot the video in the wrong setting, so you only have the side view in this video. I learn something new every day!
More Delicious Side Dish Ideas for Thanksgiving:
- My Grandma’s Famous One-Pan Brussels Sprout with Bacon You will love it!!
- Mashed Potato Pie with Bacon Roses
- Easy Mashed Rutabagas
- Kale and Apple Salad
And…if you have leftover stuffing, you can use it to make this Leftover Stuffing Stuffed Butternut Squash recipe!
How to make gluten free mushroom stuffing:
- 6 cups bread cubes
- 1 cup onion
- 1/2 cup persimmon
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a skillet, add 2 tablespoons butter and heat.
- Add onion, persimmon, mushroom, salt, pepper, and herbs. Sauté until the mushrooms and onions are cooked.
- While the vegetables are cooking, slice half a loaf of bread into cubes.
- Pour the bread into a large bowl.
- Add the cooked vegetables.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and add to the bowl of bread cubes. Pour in the broth and toss to coat.
- Pour the bread mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake 10 more minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 795mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 5g