This easy roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon recipe is straight from my Grandma's recipe book. This is the side dish that is perfect for holidays or all year round!
My family is a little hesitant to eat Brussels sprouts, but add some bacon, and they will dig right in! Is your family picky like this? I would love to hear how you convince your family that Brussels sprouts can be delicious!
This recipe was created out of the necessity for simplicity, this is a one-pan dish. There is no need to dirty up a bunch of pans to make this recipe. Add everything to a bowl and dump it into a baking dish. It turns out perfectly every time!
If you are looking for meals to serve with these roasted Brussels sprouts, give this One Pan Chicken Legs and Vegetable dinner or this easy Gluten Free Chicken Picatta recipe a try!
You can see the bacon and leeks mixed in...it all caramelizes together in the pan as you roast it.
It is funny you ask this because my daughter asked this too. They look just like tiny versions of green cabbage...and they are in the cabbage family.
How to make roasted Brussels sprouts:
- Slice off the stem. Some outer leaves may fall off, but that is okay.
- Slice the Brussels sprout in half. This allows the seasoning and oil to penetrate throughout the sprout.
- Use precooked bacon to save time (and leave fewer pans to clean up!) I used Trader Joe's precooked bacon.
- Use a high-quality olive oil. It really does make a difference!
- If you want, feel free to break up the Brussels and cook the leaves like in this Sautéd Brussels Sprouts Leaves recipe.
Recipe Tips & FAQ:
The easiest way to chop Brussels sprouts is with a sharp knife. I cut off the end on the bottom (that part where it attached to the stalk). Next, cut the Brussels sprout in half.
You can use sliced or shaved Brussels sprouts in this recipe. Please note if you use shaved Brussels sprouts, the cook time will be a LOT less so keep an eye on them as they cook.
You can definitely make this recipe stove-top by cooking the Brussels sprouts and bacon in a cast-iron skillet.
You can use any fat you like in this recipe! If you want to keep this recipe dairy-free, you will want to use the olive oil.
- This Herb Roasted Chicken recipe is a family favorite.
- My kids love this Grilled Steak with Basil Sauce with Brussels sprouts
- Bacon makes this Bacon-Wrapped Tilapia recipe so good!
If you are looking for more delicious gluten free side dish recipes, I certainly have quite a few for you to try! If you prefer your Brussels sprouts raw, try them in this delicious shaved Brussels sprout salad.
Grandma's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- 9x13 Pan
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 6 slices bacon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup leeks
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Wash the Brussels sprouts. Use a sharp knife to cut the base stem off. Slice the Brussel sprout in half. Repeat with all of the sprouts. Set the sprouts aside in a large bowl.
- In a pan, cook the bacon slices until they are crispy.
- Chop the bacon and add to the Brussels sprouts in the bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, oil, and leeks to the bowl. Toss to coat.
- Add the Brussels sprout mix to a greased baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, remove the pan and stir the Brussels sprouts. Place the pan back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Slice your Brussels sprouts in half vertically.
- Many ask if you can use precooked bacon, you can but you will not have the bacon grease to help roast and flavor the Brussels sprouts.
- You can make this recipe stovetop as well. Add the oil and bacon to a 12" cast iron skillet. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook until the sprouts are soft.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)