Lemon yogurt cake with fresh figs is an easy gluten free dessert. The fresh, yummy figs help keep the yogurt cake moist and delicious. This lemon yogurt cake recipe is perfect for summer!
If you love desserts, you will want to check out all of my yummy Gluten Free Dessert Recipes :-).
Sometimes a dessert is so beautiful that it just takes your breath away.
Yogurt Cake Recipe Inspiration
That is how I felt when I saw this Turkish Fig and Yogurt Cake made by Valeria at Life, Love Food blog. It was simple. It was beautiful…. and my photos just can’t do this incredible cake justice.
Her love of food is evident in her blog and I really do hope you take some time to look at her blog. Her photography is incredible. I was thrilled when Valeria gave me permission so I could blog about converting her cake to be gluten free.
You are going to love how easy this gluten free fig and lemon yogurt cake recipe is to make!
We were invited to dinner at a friend’s house and I wanted something special to bring for dessert. This is a great gluten free cake recipe for entertaining. It is almost like a souffle :-).
Yogurt cakes like this tend to be a lot like a souffle.
They rise up high while baking then falls as they cool. When you make this lemon yogurt cake recipe, I highly advise using a springform pan so the cake doesn’t overflow your baking dish! Check out this easy Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Yogurt Cake.
This yogurt cake recipe is easy to make but has a lot of steps. I took pictures of many of the steps so you could see how the steps come together.
- Authentic Foods Multi Blend Flour or Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend
- Greek yogurt (plain)
- Orange blossom water, see my substitution below
How to make a gluten free yogurt cake:
Here the meringue is gently blended with the yogurt batter.
This is what your batter should look like when the meringue and batter are blended.
The lemon yogurt cake batter in the springform pan with the figs gently set into the batter.
Can you use different fruits in this yogurt cake?
You can definitely use different fruits. Fresh figs are available only a short time each year. Here are some other fruits to try:
This cake can certainly puff up like a souffle. (And it sinks like one as well!) I didn’t get that fabulous puffy souffle cake photograph, but this cake still looks pretty awesome :-).
What is the best pan to bake this yogurt cake in?
I like to use a springform pan to bake this yogurt cake. It is much easier given the soufflé style of this cake.
More Delicious Gluten Free Cake Recipes to Try:
Things You Need To Make This Lemon Yogurt Cake Recipe:
- Springform pan…this makes this cake easier because it just pops out.
- This electric mixer is perfect to whip up the egg whites!
How to Make Lemon Yogurt Cake:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup organic sugar, normally I use coconut sugar when I bake but I didn't want the color of coconut sugar to taint the color of this cake.
- 3 tablespoons Authentic Foods Multi Blend Flour, I loved this brand because the grains are ground superfine. It also has xanthan gum in the mix so no need to add more.
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon grated zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange blossom water, see my substitution below
- 7 large figs, washed and halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly rub a spring form pan with butter.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolk with the sugar.
- Add in the gluten free flour, one tablespoon at a time.
- Mix in the yogurt and lemon zest.
- Add in the orange blossom water. If you can't find this, you can do what I did. Add 1/2 teaspoon orange extract and 1 teaspoon of water.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites until they are still and come to stiff points.
- Gently blend the meringue mixture into the batter.
- Pour into spring form pan and lay fig sections on top.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until top is browned.
- Let the cake cool before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 195 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 75mg Carbohydrates: 32g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 28g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g
More Yummy Gluten Free Dessert Recipes to Try!