Get ready for summer with these scrumptious homemade Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches! I use creamy vanilla ice cream and sandwich it between two thin gluten free brownie layers to make the best summer treat! Kids and grownups alike will love this recipe!
Summer is made for frozen treats! We have made our own gluten free ice cream sandwiches because who doesn't love chocolate and vanilla in a dessert?? Once you see how easy these are to make, you will want to make them all summer long too!
You can easily use my homemade Gluten Free Brownies or my Gluten Free White Chocolate Brownies recipes or use a gluten free store-bought brownie mix. It is so simple, and you can feed a crowd! My homemade gluten free brownies are dairy-free, so you can easily make these ice cream sandwiches dairy-free by using dairy-free ice cream!
Add sprinkles to the sides to make these ice cream bars colorful. Just make sure to see which sprinkles are gluten free!
Why we love this recipe:
There is so much to love about this recipe...rich deep chocolate flavor combined with sweet vanilla ice cream. It is like a party with every bite! These gluten free ice cream sandwiches are perfect for summer or any time!
I give lots of fun variations so you can enjoy these many different ways. They are easy to make and keep for months in the refrigerator! Are you ready to make them? Gather your ingredients!
Check out all of my delicious gluten free frozen desserts on the blog.
- Gluten free brownie mix - I use my gluten free brownies recipe, but if you are in a hurry, I really love Open Nature's Gluten Free Brownie Mix. They are only $2.99 a box, which is a huge bargain!
- Ice cream - You can use any flavor of ice cream, and you can use regular or dairy-free ice cream to make these dairy-free ice cream sandwiches!
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: The first part of this recipe is to make the brownies. You can use my gluten free brownie recipe or use a boxed mix, as I explained above. Mix up your dry ingredients (or dump the mix in the bowl.) Add optional chocolate chips.
Step 2: Add the wet ingredients to your brownie mix.
Step 3: Mix the brownie batter. You can use a standing mixer if you prefer.
Step 4: Line a
Step 5: Cut the thin brownie in half. Spread ice cream over the whole half of the brownie sheet.
Step 6: Place the second half of the brownie over the ice cream and very gently press down. Freeze the whole thing in the freezer until it is very firm.
Step 7: Use a sharp knife to cut it into ice cream sandwich bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer.
Check out my ice cream sandwich web story for more images.
- Coat crushed peanuts around the edges to add a little protein and flavor.
- Drizzle the ice cream sandwiches in melted chocolate.
- Make them healthier by using my Paleo Brownies recipe.
- Use my Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blondies!
If you love ice cream sandwiches, be sure to check out these yummy Gluten Free Dessert Tacos too!
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
The outer cookie part can be anything. Try the batter from these gluten free chocolate espresso cookies or brownies!
There are a couple of companies that make gluten free ice cream sandwiches including Fat Boy and Jolly Llama.
An ice cream sandwich is made of chocolate cookie or brownie. Vanilla ice cream is sandwiched between cookie/brownie slices.
These will keep fresh in the freezer up to 4 months. Make sure each is individually wrapped in plastic wrap, then placed into a large zip-style freezer bag.
There are so many kinds of sandwiches. My favorite is always ice cream, but here are more easy sandwich ideas!
More gluten free summer desserts:
- No-Churn Earl Grey Ice Cream - this would taste heavenly in these ice cream sandwiches!
- Gluten Free Icebox Cake - top it with your favorite fruit!
- Bananas Flambe Ice Cream Sundaes
- Gluten Free Mug Brownie - all you need is your microwave!
Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 box brownie mix
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- The first part of this recipe is to make the brownies. You can use my gluten free brownie recipe or use a boxed mix as I explained above. Mix up your dry ingredients (or dump the mix in the bowl.) Add optional chocolate chips.
- Add the wet ingredients to your brownie mix.
- Mix the brownie batter. You can use a standing mixer if you prefer.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread the brownie batter out to make a thin layer. Bake at 350º F for 15-18 minutes until it is finished baking.
- Cut the thin brownie in half. Spread ice cream over the whole half of the brownie sheet.
- Place the second half of the brownie over the ice cream and very gently press down. Freeze the whole thing in the freezer until it is very firm.
- Use a sharp knife to cut it into ice cream sandwich bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in the freezer.
- You can use box mix, or my gluten free brownies recipe linked above.
- Feel free to use any flavor of ice cream you like!
- These gluten free ice cream sandwiches will keep up to 4 months in the freezer. Wrap each in plastic wrap and then place in a large zip-style freezer bag.
- Make sure to check which sprinkles brands are gluten free!
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)
My kids had so much fun making these with me!
I am so glad Cathy!