Get ready for summer with these scrumptious homemade Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches! There is nothing like cold, creamy ice cream sandwiched between two thin gluten free brownie layers to make the best summer treat! Kids and grownups alike will love this recipe!
Summer is made for frozen treats! We have made our own gluten free ice cream sandwiches because who doesn't love chocolate and vanilla in a dessert?? Once you see how easy these are to make, you will want to make them all summer long too!
I love serving these when the neighborhood kids all come to swim with our kids.
To make this gluten free ice cream sandwich recipe, you can easily use my homemade Gluten Free Brownies or Gluten Free White Chocolate Brownies recipes. You can also use a gluten free store-bought brownie mix. This gluten free ice cream sandwich recipe is so simple, and you can feed a crowd!
Why We Love This Recipe:
- There is so much to love about this gluten free ice cream sandwich recipe...rich deep chocolate flavor combined with sweet vanilla ice cream. It is like a party with every bite! These gluten free ice cream sandwiches are perfect for summer or any time!
- I give lots of fun flavor variations so that you can enjoy these in many different ways.
- They are easy to make and keep fresh for months in the freezer!
Check out all of my delicious gluten free frozen desserts on the blog.
- Gluten Free Brownie Batter - I use my gluten-free brownies recipe that I linked above, but I love Open Nature's Gluten-free brownie Mix if you are in a hurry. They are only $2.99 a box, which is a huge bargain!
- Ice Cream - You can use any flavor of ice cream and regular or dairy-free ice cream to make these dairy-free ice cream sandwiches!
- Sprinkles - Add sprinkles to the sides to make these ice cream bars colorful. Just make sure to see which sprinkles are gluten free!
- Make them dairy-free - My homemade gluten free brownies, used as the base for these ice cream sandwiches, are dairy-free, so you can easily make these ice cream sandwiches dairy-free by using dairy-free ice cream!
- Depending on the ice cream brand, these are soy-free.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Step 1: The first part of this recipe is to make the brownie batter. As I explained above, you can use one of my gluten-free brownie recipes or a boxed mix. Mix your dry ingredients (or dump the mix in the bowl.) Add optional chocolate chips.
Step 2: Add the wet ingredients to your brownie mix. For best results, if you are using a gluten free brownie mix, be sure to follow the directions on the package!
Step 3: Mix the brownie batter. You can use a standing mixer if you prefer.
Step 4: Line a
Bake at 350º F for 18 minutes or until it is finished baking. Move the brownie to a cooling rack.
Step 5: Cut the thin brownie in half. Spread ice cream over the whole half of the brownie sheet.
🔑 Sandi says: Allow the brownie to cool completely before spreading ice cream onto the brownie.
Step 6: Place the second half of the brownie over the ice cream and gently press down. Freeze the whole thing in the freezer until it is very firm.
Step 7: Use a sharp knife to cut it into ice cream sandwich bars. Wrap each ice cream brownie bar in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer.
Check out my ice cream sandwich web story for more images.
- Coat crushed peanuts around the edges to add a little protein and flavor.
- Drizzle the ice cream sandwiches with melted chocolate.
- Make them healthier by using my Paleo Brownies recipe.
- Use my Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blondies!
Make a toppings bar and have fun adding sprinkles or chopped nuts to the sides of these gluten free ice cream sandwiches.
If you love ice cream sandwiches, be sure to check out these yummy Gluten Free Dessert Tacos, too!
This frozen dessert will keep fresh in the freezer for up to 4 months. Make sure each is individually wrapped in plastic and then placed into a large zip-style freezer bag.
The outer cookie part can be anything. Try the batter from these gluten free chocolate espresso cookies or brownies!
There are a couple of companies that make gluten free ice cream sandwiches, including Fat Boy and Jolly Llama brands.
An ice cream sandwich is made of chocolate cookies or brownies. Vanilla ice cream is sandwiched between cookie/brownie slices.
There are so many kinds of sandwiches. My favorite is always ice cream, but here are more easy sandwich ideas!
More Gluten Free Summer Desserts:
- No-Churn Earl Grey Ice Cream - this would taste heavenly in these ice cream sandwiches!
- Gluten Free Icebox Cake - top it with your favorite fruit!
- Bananas Flambe Ice Cream Sundaes
- Gluten Free Mug Brownie - all you need is your microwave!
Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 box brownie mix
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- Optional: sprinkles or nuts
- The first part of this recipe is to make the brownies. You can use my gluten free brownie recipe or use a boxed mix as I explained above. Mix up your dry ingredients (or dump the mix in the bowl.) Add optional chocolate chips.
- Add the wet ingredients to your brownie mix.
- Mix the brownie batter. You can use a standing mixer if you prefer.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread the brownie batter out to make a thin layer. Bake at 350º F for 15-18 minutes until it is finished baking.
- Cut the thin brownie in half. Spread ice cream over the whole half of the brownie sheet.
- Place the second half of the brownie over the ice cream and very gently press down. Freeze the whole thing in the freezer until it is very firm.
- Use a sharp knife to cut it into ice cream sandwich bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in the freezer.
- You can use box mix, or my gluten free brownies recipe linked above.
- Feel free to use any flavor of ice cream you like!
- These gluten free ice cream sandwiches will keep up to 4 months in the freezer. Wrap each in plastic wrap and then place in a large zip-style freezer bag.
- Make sure to check which sprinkles brands are gluten free!
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
This recipe was updated in July 2021 with a lot more recipe details.
Looking for more? Get my FREE Gluten Free Lemon Desserts E-Cookbook when you sign up for my weekly recipe newsletter!