If you love lemon desserts like I do, this is a must-try recipe! Picture a moist Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with a Lemonade Icing. It is perfect with a cup of coffee, tea, or for dessert!
One bite and you will be hooked on this easy to make dessert. You can also do what I like to do, make a double batch and freeze one gluten free lemon loaf for another time. And a bonus, this gluten free dessert is also dairy-free!!
You may also like my Top Ten Gluten Free Lemon Desserts recipe roundup.
With this new recipe, you will notice I am baking a lot more quick breads types of loaves. They are perfect for snacking! If you are a big make-ahead baker, you may also like this Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread or this Gluten Free Matcha Green Tea Banana Bread.
Loaf, Bread, or Cake
Do you ever wonder what to call these sweetbreads? I always get confused if something is a loaf, a bread, or a cake. This lemon poppy seed recipe is definitely sweet enough to be a dessert so maybe bread isn’t the right word here. You can even make this into gluten free lemon poppy seed muffins!
You can call this gluten free lemon poppy seed cake recipe anything you like, perhaps the bigger decision is what lemon poppy seed cake topping is best :-).
For this recipe, I created a simple lemonade icing. You don’t need any topping if you don’t want your poppy seed loaf to be too sweet.
How to Make a Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Cake:
Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend. In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix well.
Pour the wet ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix. Don’t over mix because this will make your poppy seed cake not as fluffy!
Next, pour the batter into a greased bread loaf tin and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, or until done.
Other lemon poppy seed cake topping ideas:
- Lemon glaze (a much runnier version of my lemonade icing, you want the lemon juice and sugar to absorb into your cake.
- Vanilla frosting
- Cream cheese frosting
If you love all things lemon, you will want to check out the best gluten free lemon desserts on the blog!
More Delicious Gluten Free Lemon Desserts:
How do you know when your quick bread is finished baking?
You can test if your gluten free loaf is done by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is finished baking!
Can you make this lemon cake without the poppy seeds?
The poppy seeds are completely optional so feel free to omit the poppy seeds if you don’t have them on-hand.
Can you freeze this lemon loaf cake?
You can easily freeze this lemon loaf cake. To freeze it, wrap the cooled loaf in plastic wrap tightly. Next, wrap it in foil. Place the bundle into a freezer bag. It will keep about 3 months in the freezer.
Things You Need to Make This Poppy Seed Cake Recipe:
- An easy to use lemon juicer makes getting fresh lemon juice a breeze!
- A simple zester can get the right amount of zest, and not the white bitter pith.
Next, eat and enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, feel free to adjust this if you want your icing thicker or runnier.
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Grease a bread loaf pan with coconut oil or butter.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl, add all wet ingredients, including zest and whisk to mix.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix. Don't over mix or your cake will not be as light and fluffy.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until done. Insert a toothpick into the top middle to test.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- In a bowl, add icing ingredients and mix. Drizzle on top of the cake and enjoy!
Note, if your gluten free flour blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum (or Guar Gum) please add 1 teaspoon to your mix.
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 62mg Sodium: 254mg Carbohydrates: 43g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 24g Protein: 5g
(*This post was updated from an older April 2018 post.)