This gluten free cake is layered with a delicious lemon curd and cream cheese frosting between each layer, perfect for any special occasion. This easy lemon layer cake is my daughter’s favorite birthday cake.
When I found these cute layer pans at Target for $12.99, I couldn’t resist picking them up. I have never made a layer cake like this and these pans made it look so easy.
Although the rainbow layer cake in the photo looked soooo fun, I decided to start off with an easier lemon cake recipe for my first layer cake attempt. If you look at all of the gluten free desserts I have created on this blog, NONE are fancy layer cakes. (If you LOVE lemon flavor, these Gluten Free Lemon Cupcakes and Gluten Free Lemon Donuts are fun to make.)
We hope you love this gluten free lemon layer birthday cake as much as we did.
It isn’t that I don’t love layer cakes, I have just been intimidated to ever try to make one. My kids don’t get big layer cakes from me on their birthdays…and I think they have been okay with that. But now that I have discovered these pans, they may start getting layered cakes now :-).
Is this lemon layer cake the prettiest cake out there?
Have you baked with almond flour yet? I use it in a LOT of my gluten free baking. Not only does it keep my baked treats moist, but using almond flour in the recipe adds protein to balance out some of the sugar :-). One of my favorite almond flours is by a company called Anthony’s. Their prices and quality level are hard to beat. (You can find it on Amazon.)
But what I can say is that this cake is delicious.
Each layer is the same size, light and fluffy!
These little pans make it so easy to build a layer cake.
How to make a gluten free layer cake:
I layered Trader Joe’s Lemon Curd between the layers. I add the lemon curd, then add frosting on top, then add another layer of cake. It is so fool proof.
Not a great photo, but you get the idea :-).
Here are all of the delicious gluten free desserts on this blog to explore.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Tools You Need To Make This Recipe:
- If you can’t find those mini layer cake pans at Target, these are even CHEAPER. (Who doesn’t love when that happens?
- Mixing bowls. My ultimate favorite bowls because their rubber bottom keeps them from sliding while you mix your batter.
How to make a gluten free lemon layer cake.
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup raw organic sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Jar of lemon curd
- For Frosting:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray coconut oil in several baking dishes.
- In a mixing bowl, add all wet ingredients and mix on low speed.
- Gradually add dry ingredients and mix on low speed.
- Pour batter into the baking pans, so each pan is 3/4 full.
- Put the batter filled pans on a baking sheet and bake.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add all frosting ingredients to a mixer and mix on high speed.
- Remove first cake from the pan onto a plate.
- Spread lemon curd on the cake.
- Add a layer of frosting.
- Continue to stack until you have used all layers of cake.
- Spread frosting on the top and sides of the cake.
- Optional top with fresh lemon zest.
More Yummy Gluten Free Desserts to Try!
Round out the meal with this meal plan!