Simple and delicious, these gluten free lemon cupcakes are a great snack cake your family will love. These homemade lemon cupcakes are topped with a dairy-free icing that adds a whole new dimension to how they taste.
For the best cupcake recipes, check out my Gluten Free Cupcakes for more yummy recipes to try!!
Click for Table of Contents:
Our lemon tree is overflowing right now and we have to keep picking lemons off the tree to prevent the heavy fruit-filled branches from breaking off the tree. These gluten free dairy free moist lemon cupcakes are a delicious way to celebrate lemon flavor.
You can also celebrate all things lemon with this incredible Gluten Free Lemon Pound Cake recipe!
You are in for a special treat if you love lemons as much as we do. Check out all of these incredible Gluten Free Lemon Desserts!
Well, I am going to apologize in advance, you are going to see a lot of new lemon recipes coming in the next month. You will see already I have already created this delicious Gluten Free Lemon Tart and Gluten Free Lemon Bundt Cake, so we are off to the right start with easy lemon recipes.
Why you need to make this recipe:
This gluten free lemon cupcake recipe is homemade, from scratch and is bursting with fresh lemon flavor. Store-bought gluten free cupcakes will never be as good. I made this cupcake recipe really easy to follow so you can make these in your kitchen!
What you need to make these:
- Gluten free flour blend - also if your blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum, you will need that too. I have used several gluten free flour blends to make this recipe.
- Eggs - size large.
- Sugar - you can use organic or regular. Both work perfectly fine.
- Lemons - fresh or bottled. If you have a lemon tree like me, use fresh!
- Non-dairy milk - I used almond milk but you can also use a different one like flaxseed milk or soy milk.
- Coconut oil - feel free to use another light oil like avocado or canola. Just make sure the oil you use can tolerate high heat, and won't impart any gross flavors to these cupcakes.
- Baking powder and salt - these give the cupcake some rise.
- Powdered sugar - for the yummy lemonade glaze.
How to make this recipe:
Step 1: Add your dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend.
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn't mean other blends won't work, I just haven't tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix well.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just "barely mixed".
Tip: If you over mix the cupcake batter, your cupcakes will not turn out so light and fluffy.
Step 4: Mix up your ingredients and spoon the cupcake batter into a parchment paper-lined muffin tin to bake. I like to fill them about 3/4 full so they can rise up, but not spill over the top of the liner onto the muffin tin.
Step 5: Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes until done. You can test to see if they are finished baking by inserting a toothpick in the center of a cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are finished baking. If you see crumbs or batter, they will need to bake a little longer.
Step 6: Allow your cupcakes to cool on a cooling rack, then drizzle on the icing. These gluten free lemon cupcakes have a wonderful lemonade icing drizzle making them so refreshing. Dig in!!
You definitely can, but fresh lemons are usually better tasting.
Of course! Top these fluffy gluten free cupcakes however you like. They even taste good with no frosting or icing!
The best way to keep your cupcakes light and fluffy is to be very careful not to over mix the batter.
More Delicious Lemon Dessert Recipes to Try:
"So yummy! Love this recipe"
"We loved your Strawberry Muffins (I used a bit less sugar) and so I'm going to make these cupcakes for my son's bday this week."
- An easy muffin pan ensures your cupcakes are cooked evenly.
- This gluten free flour guarantees these cupcakes are light and fluffy.
Gluten Free Lemon Cupcakes with Lemonade Icing
- 2 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- tablespoon lemon zest to top cupcakes with
- For Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Line a cupcake tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients.
- Whisk to blend.
- In a medium bowl, add all wet ingredients and whisk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Use a soup scoop to pour batter into each cupcake liner. Fill each about 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle top with lemon zest.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until done. (*See note)
- Allow to cool.
- Mix glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- Drizzle over cupcakes.
- I have tested this recipe with two gluten free flour blends. King Arthur Measure for Measure GF Blend and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF Blend. This does not mean they are the only two that work for this recipe, it just means I haven't tested all of the gluten free flour blends out there.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum, please add 1 teaspoon to the dry ingredients.
- For light and fluffy cupcakes, mix your cupcake batter until it is just barely mixed, it will help make your cupcakes lighter and fluffier.
- To test to see if your cupcakes are done baking, insert a toothpick into a cupcake. if the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcakes are finished baking. If you see batter or crumbs, you will need to bake them a little longer.
- You can top these cupcakes with the icing in the recipe, or frost them with butter cream frosting.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)