Gluten free focaccia bread is easy to make and so delicious! A caramelized onion gluten free focaccia recipe made in a cast-iron skillet. Learning how to eat gluten free is easy with this RECIPE VIDEO!
I have been thinking about this gluten free focaccia bread recipe quite a bit lately!
Maybe obsessing is more accurate. There is something about that slightly chewy bread I have been missing. You can add any toppings, veggies, cheese…I can almost taste it.
It isn’t my fault. It all started when I was out and about running errands the other day. One of the stores I was in was handing out samples of focaccia bread. I haven’t had focaccia in several years, and quite honestly, I didn’t miss it. Until I saw it.
Maybe it is my fault. I was shopping on an empty stomach, which is a dangerous thing. And now, I have a single one-track mind. Gluten free focaccia bread. You know the bread, with cheese and herbs on top.
Baking in a Cast Iron Skillet
I decided to bake this easy gluten free focaccia bread recipe in my large cast-iron skillet.
I use cast iron skillets for almost all of my cooking now, but this was my first venture in using one to bake gluten free bread.
When you are gluten free, it is easy to have low iron. A cast-iron pan is a simple way to add iron into your diet naturally.
How to Make Gluten Free Focaccia Bread:
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
Your dough should be a similar consistency to this dough.
Spread out the focaccia dough to cover the bottom of the cast iron skillet.
Ways to Customize Focaccia Bread:
- Add garlic for a garlic bread focaccia
- You can add your favorite herbs like rosemary and thyme. Herbed focaccia bread is great with a bowl of hot soup!
Sprinkle parmesan and any other toppings you want. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise for 45 minutes. Bake.
Slice your gluten free focaccia and enjoy!
Things You Need to Make this Recipe:
- A cast iron skillet. These are so fun because you can use them on the stove and in the oven!
- This gluten free flour blend.
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free flour blend
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons almond milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
For the Bread
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a glass bowl, heat the almond milk so that it is lukewarm.
- Add yeast, oil, and honey to the almond milk and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs to the liquid and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Oil a large cast iron skillet and put the dough in. Spread the dough to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Let the dough rest in the pan for 45 minutes to rise.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add parmesan cheese and any other toppings.
- Press gently into the dough to set.
- Bake for 22 minutes, or until golden and crusty.
I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend in this recipe. It contains Xanthan Gum. If your gluten free mix doesn't have Xanthan Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 211mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
*This gluten free focaccia recipe was updated from a post from 2014. Here is an old picture of this recipe: