This easy lime gluten free mug cake with lime icing is moist and delicious. Even better? It cooks in your microwave in just 90 seconds! No hot oven needed; which is awesome because it is too hot to use the oven now. (Dairy-free too!)
Doesn't this gluten free AND dairy-free lime cake look delicious? I was worried the microwave would dry it out, but it didn't dry at all. Each bite is bursting with lime flavor! This mug cake has lime icing, but you could easily use regular frosting and make this a cupcake in a mug!
I will be creating a lot of fun mug cake recipes over the next few months if the weather stays this hot.
If you love the idea of making and eating the cake in under 5 minutes, check out all of my incredible gluten free mug cake recipes!
Why this recipe is so good:
- This quick and easy lime mug cake is full of juicy lime flavors. Topped with sweet icing to balance out the tartness, this cake is so good.
- I still can't believe how fast you can make this! All you need is 3 minutes!
- Use the microwave for this gluten free mug cake! It sounds funny, but you can get a moist and delicious cake in your favorite mug!
- You can make this gluten free microwave cake in many flavors, like this Gluten Free Cherry Cobbler Mug Cake.
Don't forget to try this easy, dairy-free, Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Mug Cake, too!
My DIY Gluten Free Flour Blend works well in my mug cake recipes!
- Gluten free flour blend - I tested this recipe using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work; I have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Almond milk - I used almond milk, but other dairy-free types of milk will work; I do not recommend canned coconut milk.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
If you have wondered how to make a gluten free version of a mug cake, follow along!
Step 1: Zest and juice your limes. This cake is full of fresh lime flavors. I not only use lime juice but lots of lime zest!
Step 2: Add the wet ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to blend. Add your dry ingredients and mix.
Here is the lime cake batter. Notice the consistency is not thick....this helps keep the cake light and fluffy.
Step 3: Spray your mug lightly with spray oil.
Step 4: Pour the cake batter into your favorite mug and microwave on high for 90 seconds. The mug cake will rise, then fall as it cooks. Be careful because the cooked cake will be hot.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can do the toothpick test, but it isn't as accurate because of the texture of the cake. I like to touch the top of the cake. If it feels firm, the cake is done cooking.
You can easily switch out the lime for lemon to make this a lemon cake.
You could bake this mug cake in the oven, but that defeats the cake in 3 minutes of excitement.
The sponginess comes from using oil. If you are okay with dairy, use butter for a lighter, fluffier texture and mouthfeel.
I spray my mug lightly with light oil spray. This helps the mug cake slide out more easily.
If you love mug cakes as much as I do, check out all of my delicious gluten free mug cake recipes.
More Yummy Gluten Free Dessert Recipes:
Gluten Free Dairy Free Lime Mug Cake
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 3 tablespoons gluten free flour blend * see note
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg large
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
For the Icing
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar for icing
- 1 teaspoons lime juice for icing
- In a small bowl, add flour, sugar, and baking soda. Add in the egg, melted coconut oil, lime juice, and lime zest.
- Mix well. Pour into your favorite mug. (I used a spray coconut oil to spray the sides of the mug so the cake doesn't stick.)
- Put into the microwave for 90 seconds.
- Put the powdered sugar and lime juice in a small bowl and mix. Drizzle onto the mug cake.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend.. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- I used almond milk but other dairy-free kinds of milk will work but I do not recommend canned coconut milk.
- To test for doneness, touch your finger to the top of the cake. If it feels firm, your cake is done cooking.
- Make sure your mug is microwave safe!
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Simplifying the art of baking and cooking gluten-free recipes.