Get ready for cake season with this delicious homemade gluten free vanilla cake mix. Keep cake mix on hand so you can always have what you need to make a cake. These cake mix jars also make great gifts with the printable recipe card.
Cake mix is one of those pantry staples you always want on hand in an emergency. You can use it to make a cake or cupcakes pretty quickly.
I don't know about you, but I have been in a pinch one too many times where I needed a cake quickly but didn't have any mix. Running to the grocery store for cake mix takes time; those mixes often have a lot of chemical preservatives.
With my homemade cake mix recipe, you can have delicious cake anytime! I use simple ingredients, and you can use several gluten free flour blends to make this recipe.
If you love cake as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free cake recipes.
Why This Recipe Is Great:
- This easy DIY gluten free cake mix recipe is easy, it has minimal ingredients, and it will keep up to 8 weeks in a mason jar or air-tight container.
- Convenience! You have ready-made cake mix in your pantry for when you feel like baking. No trip to the store is needed!
- Print out the recipe card below and make this a nice gift for neighbors, teachers, friends, and family!
This homemade gluten free cake mix makes this delicious gluten free vanilla cake (pictured above). This cake gets rave reviews from readers who have used it for every occasion, from weddings to birthdays, to holidays.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend - I have tested this recipe with two flour blends. King Arthur Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Blend.
- If your gluten free blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum, you will need this too.
- Quart-sized mason jars to store your muffin mix in for gift-giving.
This cake mix is gluten-free, and the printable recipe makes a dairy-free cake. This cake is also soy-free and nut-free.
How To Make Homemade Gluten Free Cake Mix:
It doesn't get any easier than making this easy vanilla cake mix recipe!!
Step 1: Add all of your ingredients to the bowl.
Step 2: Whisk it really well to mix the ingredients.
Step 3: Put them into a mason jar, ziplock bag, or another air-tight container.
Step 4: Print out the printable recipe card.
Printable Cake Recipe Card:
I hope you love this cake mix as much as we do! For tips, please read my Gluten Free Cake Troubleshooting Guide.
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can store this vanilla cake mix in a mason jar, ziplock bag, or another air-tight container.
This cake mix will keep up to 8 weeks in your pantry.
You can easily flavor this cake using different extracts like almond, lemon, and coconut. Add one teaspoon of extract to the wet ingredients when making the cake.
More DIY Gluten Free:
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix
- Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
- Easy Gluten Free Muffin Mix
- Gluten Free Cookie Mix
Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Place all of the ingredients into a large bowl and whisk to blend.
- Pour into a mason jar or another air-tight container.
- Print out the recipe card.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF, Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend, and Authentic Foods Multi Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- This cake mix will keep up to 8 weeks in an air-tight container.
- Print the gluten free vanilla cake recipe card.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
This post was updated from an older December 2021 post with more recipe details.
Looking for more? Get my FREE Gluten Free Lemon Desserts E-Cookbook when you sign up for my weekly recipe newsletter!