Today I am sharing a slightly healthier version of my family's sloppy joe recipe with you. These are the best homemade gluten free sloppy joes recipe because they have so much flavor. The flavor of the meat doesn't get lost in the gluten free bun.
If you love sloppy Joes, why not try this delicious kid-friendly Gluten Free Baked Ziti Casserole recipe too.
Click for Table of Contents:
Do you know what I love about this recipe? It helps to break away from the old stereotypical school cafeteria food. Did you grow up with that goopy meat on a hamburger bun at your school? Ick! This sloppy joe recipe is a FAR cry above that old cafeteria yuck!
What kind of meat is best for sloppy joes?
The beauty of this sloppy joe recipe is you can use many kinds of meats, or even vegetarian or vegan meat substitutes for this recipe! The secret is in the sauce!
- Ground turkey - this gluten free turkey meatloaf is a popular dinner.
- Ground beef - have an Instant Pot? My Grandma's Cabbage Rolls recipe is unstuffed and super easy to make.
- Ground chicken - these gluten free ground chicken burgers are perfect for a cookout.
- Ground pork - check out these delicious gluten free ground pork recipes.
- Meatless crumbles...many are so good they taste just like ground meat! check it out in this easy vegan Mexican Casserole recipe.
Which is your favorite? Use that one!
For this recipe, I used ground turkey. My husband and I are trying so hard to eat more lean meats at meal time...you can't tell this is turkey meat. This sloppy joe meat is moist and delicious!
You get the awesomeness of grandma's sloppy joe sauce recipe...and it tastes amazing!
You can see in this picture all of the good stuff inside this sloppy joe recipe. If you like vegetables, feel free to add more in! These are the best homemade gluten free Sloppy Joes!
- Broccoli (yeah, I am weird but it tastes good!)
- Winter squash like butternut or acorn squash
In this gluten free recipe, I used rolls made by Shar. There are a lot of fabulous gluten free hamburger bun brands out there now. Even Trader Joe's has them!
My family also like Franz Bakery, Udi's, and Canyon Bakehouse buns, but we find we need to microwave them a little to soften them.
More Delicious Gluten Free Dinner Recipes to Try:
- Cheesy Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Chicken Legs with Vegetables
- Crazy Good Mexican Meatloaf Burgers
- A good skillet. I like to use either a cast iron skillet or this T-Fal Thermospot pan.
- A food processor to chop up your vegetables with.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup yellow pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a pan, add oil, onion, and pepper. Cook over medium heat. Stir frequently.
- When the onion becomes soft, add either ground turkey or ground beef to the pan.
- Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add sauce, lower heat to low and simmer with the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Serve on a gluten free bun.
You can use any ground meat in this easy sloppy joe recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 999mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 24g
Please note this nutrition information is calculated by a recipe plugin and is an estimate based on the ingredients used in this recipe.