Today I am sharing a slightly healthier version of my family’s sloppy joe recipe with you. These are the best homemade gluten free sloppy joes recipe because they have so much flavor. The flavor of the meat doesn’t get lost in the gluten free bun.
Do you know what else I love about this recipe? It helps to break away from the old stereotypical school cafeteria food. Did you grow up with that goopy meat on a hamburger bun at your school? Ick! This sloppy joe recipe is a FAR cry above that old cafeteria yuck!
What kind of meat is best for sloppy joes?
The beauty of this sloppy joe recipe is you can use many kinds of meats, or even vegetarian or vegan meat substitutes for this recipe! The secret is in the sauce!
- Ground turkey
- Ground beef
- Ground chicken
- Ground pork
- Meatless crumbles
Which is your favorite? Use that one!
For this recipe, I used ground turkey. My husband and I are trying so hard to eat more lean meats at meal time…you can’t tell this is turkey meat. This sloppy joe meat is moist and delicious!
You get the awesomeness of grandma’s sloppy joe sauce recipe…and it tastes amazing!
You can see in this picture all of the good stuff inside this sloppy joe recipe. If you like vegetables, feel free to add more in! These are the best homemade gluten free Sloppy Joes!
Vegetables that would be delicious include:
- Broccoli (yeah, I am weird but it tastes good!)
- Winter squash like butternut or acorn squash
What kind of bread is best for making this easy Sloppy Joe recipe?
In this gluten free recipe, I used rolls made by Shar. There are a lot of fabulous gluten free hamburger bun brands out there now. Even Trader Joe’s has them!
For the best price on Schar rolls, our local Walmart has them. They are almost $2 cheaper at Walmart than other stores! It pays to shop around!!
More Delicious Gluten Free Dinner Recipes to Try:
- Cheesy Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Chicken Legs with Vegetables
- Crazy Good Mexican Meatloaf Burgers
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- A good skillet. I like to use either a cast iron skillet or this T-Fal Thermospot pan.
- A food processor to chop up your vegetables with.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup yellow pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a pan, add oil, onion, and pepper. Cook over medium heat. Stir frequently.
- When the onion becomes soft, add either ground turkey or ground beef to the pan.
- Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add sauce, lower heat to low and simmer with the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Serve on a gluten free bun.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 999mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 24g