Cinnamon granola is a staple in our house. With a gluten free granola recipe like this one, you can eat it for breakfast, snacks, or even dessert. Our family puts cinnamon granola on yogurt, ice cream, fruit crisps, and we even eat it right off the baking tray!
If you love granola as much as we do, but you need to follow a paleo, grain-free, or refined sugar diet, give this delicious Paleo Granola recipe a try! It has all of the granola flavors you love, but it is grain-free and refined sugar-free too!
Have you tried to make your own granola from scratch yet? Once you make homemade granola, it is very hard to go back to expensive store-bought granola!
You will also love all of the fun things you can do with granola...like make granola tart crusts! Adding gluten free granola on top of yogurt is so good for breakfast!
Once you know the formula, you can make any flavor of homemade gluten free granola you like!
- Gluten free rolled oats - use certified gluten free!
- Walnuts - halves or pieces
- Pecans - halves or pieces
- Sunflower seeds - raw unsalted
- Chia seeds
- Maple syrup
- Coconut oil
- Shredded coconut - unsweetened
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Add all of the seeds, oats, and nuts to a large bowl. Next, add the syrup and coconut oil to the bowl and mix well.
Bake your gluten free granola for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and stir the granola. Bake an additional 10 minutes.
Homemade granola is so easy to customize to your favorite flavors and add-ins. You can add any of the following into my cinnamon granola recipe:
- Nuts - chopped walnuts, pecans, or pistachios are delicious options for cinnamon granola.
- Seeds like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and flax seeds.
- Dried fruit like raisins, cherries, and apricots.
- Unsweetened coconut
- Chia seeds
- Seasonings like pumpkin spice or even savory spices like chili powder or curry powder will kick up the flavor of any gluten free granola recipe!
Certified gluten free oats are important!
It is really important to know that when you are on a gluten free diet, it is critical to ensure that the oats you use are certified gluten free. Cross-contamination is a huge issue for oats and I don’t want anyone to get sick!!
Our family loves Trader Joe’s Oats and Bob’s Red Mill Rolled Oats. Both are certified gluten free and nobody in our family has ever reacted to them.
How to use granola:
Our family puts this homemade granola on everything!! They even eat it right off the baking tray! Here are some of our favorite ways to eat granola
- Sprinkle onto yogurt
- Spoon into ice cream
- Top fruit crisps
- Mix in a bowl with milk for cereal.
- Use as a trail mix on a hike.
I used coconut oil in my recipe, but you can also use other light oils like avocado oil. This recipe is dairy-free and vegan so it makes a great allergy-friendly snack!
More fun recipes with gluten free oats:
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Cinnamon Granola - Basic Gluten Free Granola Recipe
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl.
- Pour on melted coconut oil, vanilla, and maple syrup and mix well.
- Spray coconut oil on a cookie sheet. Spread the granola onto the cookie sheet. (You may need to use two cookie sheets so the granola isn't piled on too thick.)
- Bake at 250 for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and stir. Put back into the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Store in a large ziplock bag or container.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)
(*This post was updated from an older September 2017 post.)