If you read my interview with Rok Bistro in downtown Sunnyvale, you know how easy it is to dine out and enjoy a flavorful gluten free fondue in their restaurant. There is no risk of cross contamination, many of the foods are cooked right at your table.
Would you like to learn how to make a gluten free fondue recipe at home? Fondues are really easy to make, and they are kid approved in our house. (We have also discovered that a fondue is a great way to encourage our kids to eat more vegetables.) Please note, if your kids do not like tomato and basil, you can easily leave them out of this recipe.
Rok Bistro has shared the perfect fondue recipe with us, a Tomato Basil Fondue. This tomato basil fondue recipe is a popular Fondue of the Month special you can find in their restaurant. You can dip your favorite gluten free breads and lightly steamed vegetables right into the melted cheese.
If you do not have a fondue set, you can use a double broiler. I bought this fondue set for several reasons. It is electric (no kids playing with an open flame), it is inexpensive for the quality, it is stainless steel so no surfaces to wear out, and because it works for any type of fondues, even meats. This fondue set lets you control the temperature, so you can cook the fondue, and then turn the temperature down to low just to keep it warm. (*Please know this is an affiliate link. I use this set in my home and I love it. Purchasing this set through the link will not affect the price you pay, it just gives a small commission to Fearless Dining to help off set costs to maintain this site.)
Click here to see all of the gluten free appetizer recipes on Fearless Dining
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons basil pesto
- 2 teaspoons marinara sauce of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- In a small bowl, add the shredded cheese and mix in the cornstarch to coat the cheese (1 tablespoon for 2 people and 2 tablespoons for 4 people.)
- In a fondue bowl, heat the wine and garlic.
- Add cheese slowly, and keep stirring until the liquid and cheese bond.
- Add basil pesto and marinara and stir to blend.
- Serve with lightly steamed vegetables and gluten free breads.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 410 Saturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 92mg Sodium: 432mg Carbohydrates: 2g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1g Protein: 25g
For even more appetizer recipes, check out my Gluten Free Appetizer board on Pinterest!