If you are looking for sweet, savory, or spicy Gluten Free Meatball Appetizers, I have some ideas for you. Each tantalizing recipe is sure to impress you, your family, and your friends! I love the bold, rich flavors that each dish provides.
Next time you have a party or go to a potluck, you should whip up some juicy homemade meatballs. They will be the meal’s star, and you will be pleased by how easy they are to throw together. You can even make these ahead of time for a quick meal idea.
I pulled together all kinds of meatballs for this collection of gluten-free meatball recipes. They can be made with any ground meat or vegan meat, and there are a lot of flavors to choose from.
This is a handy meat thermometer for measuring the internal temperature of meats. It has a handy guide and it has backlight in case you are grilling in the dark.
Tips For Success:
- Mix the meatball ingredients in a large bowl so the seasonings are spread through the meatballs…this will ensure flavor in every bite.
- You always want to make sure that the meatballs are cooked all the way through before serving them. The easiest way is to use a meat thermometer and check the temperature.
- Be sure to make enough sauce so the meatballs stay tender.
You can also try some of my other popular gluten free appetizer recipes if you want to serve more than just meatballs!
Best Ways to Cook Meatballs
- Hands down, one of my favorite ways to make meatballs in an Instant Pot. Don’t own a pressure cooker yet and have no idea where to start? This Instant Pot is a life changer! You can program it to cook so many different foods like meatballs, soup, yogurt, and even baked potatoes.
- Often, you can make easy meatball appetizers right in your slow cooker. Take a look at this Crock Pot if you are shopping around. It has 7 quarts so you can serve lots of people. It also has a high, low, and warm setting to fit what you are cooking. You will save time and have fewer dishes to wash, which is a win-win!
- The Air Fryer is a good way to make meatballs that are juicy on the inside and slightly crisp on the outside! It cooks your meatballs in record time too!
- The oven is probably the most popular way to cook meatballs.
- You can also simmer meatballs in the sauce to cook them!
What bread crumbs are gluten free?
You can use any gluten free bread crumbs you choose, but I wanted to tell you about my favorite ones. Ian’s breadcrumbs have a fantastic flavor and are easy to work with. Jeff Nathan Creations is another option for panko-style bread crumbs. If you are like me, you like having several options around. Schar breadcrumbs taste so good that you won’t believe they are gluten-free.
You can also make your own homemade Gluten Free Bread Crumbs at a fraction of the cost!
Let’s break down all these deliciously easy meatball appetizers by meat type. Any of these gluten free meatball recipes can be made with any meat, so if you like a recipe in the turkey meatball section but you only have ground beef…you can easily use the ground beef!
What is the best internal temperature for meatballs?
You want the internal temperature to be 165º F inside the meatballs.
What are bread crumb substitutes for meatballs?
There are all sorts of delicious things you can use instead of bread crumbs when you make meatballs. Here are some of my favorites:
- Tortilla chips
- Crushed gluten free crackers
- Ground pork rinds
- Rice crumbs – These used to be available at Trader Joe’s for a time, but now you have to order them online.
Can you make meatballs egg-free?
Many meatball recipes include eggs to help meatballs stick together and keep the meatballs tender and juicy while cooking. There are several ways to make meatballs egg-free. Use Just Egg, a liquid egg replacer. Another way is to use ricotta cheese or plain yogurt instead of the egg.
Should you sear meatballs before adding them to the sauce?
Searing is totally optional, depending on how you like your meatballs. Some recipes below include both searing first, cooking them through first, and putting them into the sauce raw.
The Best Gluten Free Meatball Recipes:
This post was updated from an older December 2018 post with more meatball tips for cooking.
Your go-to haven for gluten-free living, where I share hundreds of delicious, family-friendly recipes, helpful gluten-free resources, and allergen-friendly options for everyone!