If you are a meat lover, you are going to love my new healthy gluten free meatballs. These delicious little meatballs are filled with bok choy, but nobody will know they have hidden veggies!
If you love bok choy, check out these delicious ways to fall in love with bok choy recipes!
This week I am excited because I have great plans for all of this lovely organic bok choy! I am starting to think about appetizers and holiday entertaining.
I just can't wrap my head around it. As my husband can testify, I am not typically a planner. I am the type to throw stuff in a suitcase clean or dirty at the last minute...usually, late the night before we leave. This drives him absolutely nuts.
If you love meatballs, you will also want to try these Instant Pot BBQ Turkey Meatballs.
Why these meatballs are great:
This is the perfect flavorful recipe to make for game day, a party, or any time you need a delicious appetizer. I also love making these as healthy snacks for the kids...just don't tell them there are veggies hidden inside!
- Shallots - I love to use shallots because they add a unique oniony garlic flavor, if you can't find them, you can substitute scallion.
- Bok choy - You can use organic or regular bok choy. It is one thing I don't think can be substituted or you will change the flavor dramatically.
- Ground pork sausage - Use raw ground sausage, not pre-cooked.
- Ground beef - Ground beef helps balance out the flavor. I used 90% lean ground beef.
- Gluten free panko crumbs - you can use panko or bread crumbs. I like to make my own gluten free bread crumbs.
- Greek yogurt - you can substitute non-dairy yogurt (plain) if you are dairy-free.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: The star of this recipe is bok choy with some organic shallots that I also received in my farm box. Wash and chop them up!
Step 2: Before using the food processor, I cooked the shallot and bok choy to bring out their flavors more.
I still can't say enough about the immersion blender my husband bought me. This small food processor attachment is so easy to use, and much easier to get the ingredients out of than my Vitamix.
Step 3: Add your shallot mixture and garlic, cilantro, gluten free panko, milk, and Greek yogurt to a food processor. Grind until it is slightly chunky but creamy.
Step 4: In a large bowl, add the puréd mixture into the meats. Mix it by hand to really incorporate the bok choy mixture into the meat. (I HATE this part!)
If there is some kitchen gadget that would prevent me from having to mash all of the meat ingredients by hand, please let me know!
Step 5: Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Add meatballs to the pan and cook them to brown the outside.
Move to an 8x8 baking dish and bake them at 350º F for 15-20 minutes. Bake time will depend on how large you make your meatballs.
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
If you don't want to mix sausage and beef, you can easily use just one. I also love this recipe with ground turkey to make it lower in fat.
If you don't want crisp outsides, you can easily just bake these meatballs in the oven.
If you can't find bok choy, I recommend trying Swiss chard or kale in these meatballs.
These meatballs will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More Appetizer Recipes to Try:
- The 10 Best Gluten Free Appetizers
- Roasted Hatch Chile Hummus
- Crispy Cheddar Hash Brown Waffles
- Baked Turmeric Chicken Wings
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Bok Choy Meatballs
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 cup small head of bok choy chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- ½ pound grass fed ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon mint dried
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ⅔ cup gluten free panko crumbs
- ¼ cup organic milk * see note
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt * see note
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook bok choy and shallot until tender.
- Add bok choy, garlic, shallot, cilantro, gluten free panko, milk, and Greek yogurt to a food processor. Grind until medium texture.
- In a large bowl, add meats, bok choy mixture, mint, cumin, salt, and all spice.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a frying pan.
- Roll meat into meatballs and drop into the pan.
- Cook until all sides are browned.
- Remove meatballs onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Put meatballs onto a baking dish and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until cooked.
- Serve warm.
- Feel free to use any ground meat you have on-hand to make these meatballs.
- To make these meatballs dairy-free, use dairy-free milk and yogurt.
- If you can't find bok choy, you can substitute kale or Swiss chard.
- If you don't want to pan fry the outsides, you can just bake the meatballs for 20-25 minutes in the oven. (Bake time will depend on the size of your meatballs.)
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)