With the holiday season fast approaching, what better time than to serve up these gluten free bok choy meatballs?
This week I am excited because I have great plans for all of this lovely organic bok choy! I am starting to think about appetizers and holiday entertaining.
It seems like time has been going by so fast. Halloween is this week and as of three weeks ago, Costco had all of their Christmas decorations up.
I don’t understand what the rush is.
Are you someone who gets their holiday shopping done in October?
I just can’t wrap my head around it. As my husband can testify, I am not typically a planner. I am the type to throw stuff in a suitcase clean or dirty at the last minute…usually late the night before we leave. This drives him absolutely nuts.
But, one thing about blogging is learning to plan and think ahead….so here is my humble attempt to begin putting together great entertaining dishes for the holidays :-).
When it comes to bok choy, I am often at a loss. It seems like this is the one vegetable I consult with IBM’s Chef Watson most of all. The flavor of bok choy is very different from most green vegetables. It is easy to create an Asian recipe, but I want something a little more out of the box.
The star of this recipe is bok choy with some organic shallots that I also received in my farm box. Getting to choose what you get each week makes recipe planning so easy!
Before using the food processor, I cooked the shallot and bok choy to bring out their flavors more.
I still can’t say enough about the immersion blender my husband bought me. This small food processor attachment is so easy to use, and much easier to get the ingredients out of than my Vitamix. (And for whatever reason, it is over 50% off right now on Amazon.)
The part I HATE….mixing everything by hand. If there is some kitchen gadget that would prevent me from having to mash all of teh meat ingredients by hand, please let me know!
I cook them to brown the outsides, then pop them into the oven.
More Delicious Appetizer Recipes to Try:
How do you like to cook bok choy?
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 cup small head of bok choy, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1/2 pound grass fed ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon mint, dried
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2/3 cup gluten free panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup organic milk
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook bok choy and shallot until tender.
- Add bok choy, garlic, shallot, cilantro, gluten free panko, milk, and Greek yogurt to a food processor. Grind until medium texture.
- In a large bowl, add meats, bok choy mixture, mint, cumin, salt, and all spice.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a frying pan.
- Roll meat into meatballs and drop into the pan.
- Cook until all sides are browned.
- Remove meatballs onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Put meatballs onto a baking dish and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until cooked.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 120 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 201mg Carbohydrates: 3g Protein: 5g
Looking for more appetizers? How about these Bok Choy Deviled Eggs with Bacon?