If you love crispy buttery bread and melty cheese, you are going to LOVE the flavors in this Italian Panini recipe!
Creamy roasted garlic cloves, roasted red peppers, and artichokes combine with Italian cheeses in this popular gluten free panini recipe. If you love a good panini, you will want to check out this delicious Hatch Chile Tuna Melt Panini!
Click for Table of Contents:
What is a panini?
I can't wait to share this panini grill sandwich with you. It is crazy good, with all sorts of flavors that blend together perfectly to make a party in your mouth!! (I am not kidding, I am already eating my second panini as I write this post!)
A panini is an Italian sandwich that is made with Italian bread in a special "panini press."
For this gluten free panini recipe, I used mozzarella slices. You can also add in some provolone cheese slices to give even more flavor!!
What is a panini press?
You don't need an expensive panini grill to make a panini! And even more importantly, you don't need one at all :-). Feel free to use a pan and make grilled cheese with this recipe!
I use a Cuisinart Panini Grill because it is easy. The plates come off and can go in the dishwasher, which makes clean up a breeze!
Are you ready to see how easy it is to make this panini grill sandwich recipe?
How to roast garlic:
The first step is to roast the garlic bulb. I chop off the tips of the garlic bulb. Next, rub olive oil on the garlic cloves. Bake at 350F degrees until the garlic is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
When the garlic is finished, heat your panini press. If you don't have a panini press, you can use a pan and grill your sandwich.
Butter one side of the bread and put it on the hot panini press. Smear some roasted garlic bulbs on the bread.
Next, add the cheese!
Now for some pizzazz! Add roasted red pepper and canned artichoke slices on top of the cheese. Put cheese on top of the peppers and artichokes. Add another slice of bread and close the panini press.
Look at all of that melty cheese! You are going to LOVE this with your first bite!!
What gluten free bread is best for a panini?
Unfortunately, we are a bit more limited since we can't eat real Italian bread. I like to use the white bread by Canyon Bakehouse and Franz Bakery best.
More Delicious Grilled Cheese and Panini Recipes to Try:
- Tuna Panini with Caramelized Onion and Hatch Chiles
- Pepper Jack Grilled Cheese with Strawberry Hot Sauce
- An inexpensive super-powered panini grill. I love this brand and it is so easy to use. My teens even make panini for themselves with it.
- Roasted red peppers. I used a brand I found at Trader Joe's. Any brand will work, just make sure to drain liquid so they don't make your bread soggy.
- 8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 4 canned artichoke slices
- 6 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat your panini grill. Also preheat a toaster oven or oven to 350F degrees.
- Cut off some of the top of a head of garlic. Drizzle the olive oil onto it.
- Bake the head of garlic for 20 minutes until golden. (Note it is faster in a toaster oven. If you use a regular oven it may take longer to get the garlic to caramelize.)
- Butter one side of four slices of gluten free bread.
- On a cutting board, slice roasted red peppers and artichokes.
- Place two slices of bread on your panini grill, butter side down on the hot grate.
- Spread some caramelized garlic onto each slice of bread. Add two slices of cheese on top of the garlic.
- Next, add roasted red pepper and artichoke slices.
- Add two more slices of cheese, then put the bread slice on top, butter side facing up towards the heated top grate.
- Grill until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 598Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 1064mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 29g
Please note this nutrition information is calculated by a recipe plugin and is an estimate based on the ingredients used in this recipe.