There is nothing more satisfying than a hearty hot breakfast like this easy Ground Turkey Chili Shakshuka recipe. Chili and eggs make a warm, filling breakfast that will keep you full all morning!
(*This post was sponsored by Foster Farms Organic Ground Turkey. All delicious opinions are my own.)
Your whole family will love this ground turkey recipe! If you love breakfast as much as we do, check out my delicious gluten free breakfast recipes. You are sure to find some new favorites!
Today I wanted to create a fun twist on a shakshuka. In case you haven't heard of a shakshuka, it is a chili and eggs dish where the eggs are poached in a tomato sauce. Shakshuka is popular in the Mediterranean and the Middle East.
This chili has just enough spice and flavor to blend in with the eggs and cheese to make the perfect breakfast! This high-protein breakfast is ready in just 30 minutes.
If you love a more traditional shakshuka, this Garden Vegetable Shakshuka recipe is another fun breakfast to try!
Why Make This Breakfast Recipe:
- One thing I love about this recipe is that it can do double duty. You can make a big pot of turkey chili for one meal, then use the leftover chili to make this delicious breakfast shakshuka.
- Ground turkey is healthier, leaner, and has much lower calories than ground beef. Using ground turkey instead of ground beef means my chili isn't greasy! That is a win-win when you have picky eaters!
- This easy chili shakshuka recipe contains protein from ground turkey and healthy beans! If you want to try different ground meat, give this easy Ground Pork Chili recipe a try!
- Ground Turkey - Feel free to use any ground meat! You can also use tofu, tempeh, or a vegan crumble meat substitute.
- Cheddar Cheese - Use sharp or mild cheddar or dairy-free cheddar.
- Canned Beans - I used a combination of kidney and black beans. Drain the beans and rinse them in a colander before adding them to the skillet!
- Diced Tomatoes - You can use fire-roasted or plain.
- Onion, Pepper, and Cilantro - You can also use other vegetables like zucchini and sweet potatoes.
- Chili Powder and other spices - Be sure your spices are gluten free. I tend to use McCormick and Penzeys most often.
You get to control the level of spice in this recipe...if you love spice, pile it on!! You will love how easy this spicy baked egg recipe is to make!
I absolutely love my 12-inch cast iron skillet. I use it for pancakes, skillet cakes, and many of my dinner recipes. It is easy to clean, and perfectly non-stick!
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Are you ready to see how easy this shakshuka with meat recipe is to make?
Step 1: Cook the ground turkey with a little olive oil, onion, and garlic on medium heat.
Step 2: Add in tomatoes, beans, spices, green chilis, and cilantro and simmer. Now is when you would add some extra spice like the hatch green chiles!
Step 3: Continue to simmer. See all of the ground turkey in this chili? I love how hearty it turns out!
Step 4: Now for the fun part...poaching the eggs in the tomato chili. Drop in the raw eggs right into the chili.
Step 5: Let the eggs settle into the chili and simmer on medium-low heat. I pop the cast iron skillet under a broiler for 5 minutes when the eggs are partially cooked. After 2 ½ minutes, I remove it to add some grated cheddar cheese and fresh chopped cilantro.
Step 6: Serve hot with sour cream, chopped cilantro, and scallions. Like it spicy? Add in some jalapeños!
If breakfast is your thing, you will love this Egg Potato Bacon Skillet!
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can use any ground meat you like! I also like to use ground chicken and ground beef!
Add in some roasted hatch green chiles! These add a great kick! You can also garnish it with some sriracha sauce!
A cast iron skillet is the best pan for cooking a shakshuka because it can go from the stove to the broiler quickly without damaging the pan!
This shakshuka will keep fresh for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Store in an air-tight container.
Did you know that Foster Farms is family-owned and operated? Foster Farms has remained true to the legacy of excellence, honesty, quality, and service established by its founders, Max and Verda Foster.
Why I always buy Foster Farms Organic Ground Turkey:
- Foster Farms Organic Ground Turkey is grown here in California.
- Foster Farms Organic Ground Turkey is USDA Certified Organic and raised free-range on organic land with no antibiotics.
- Foster Farms Organic Ground Turkey is 100% natural, with no antibiotics, GMOs, or added hormones or steroids. This is important to my family.
- Foster Farms Organic Ground Turkey is 93% lean, making it a delicious low-fat meat choice.
This post was updated from an older January 2018 post with more details.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes to Try:
Easy Ground Turkey Chili Shakshuka
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pound ground turkey * see note
- 1 onion diced
- 1 orange pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 28 ounce can peeled tomatoes * see note
- 14 ounces pinto beans
- 14 ounces black beans
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar cheese
- In a cast iron skillet, add olive oil and allow to heat 1 minute. Add ground turkey, garlic, peppers, green chiles, and diced onion.
- Cook for 5 minutes until onion is soft and ground turkey is cooked.
- Add spices, tomatoes, beans, and chilis. Bring to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 3-5 minutes then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. Add 4 raw eggs.
- Allow eggs to poach in the chili for 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and put under a broiler for 5 minutes. After 2 ½ minutes, add grated cheddar and then put back under the broiler for the remaining 2 ½ minutes.
- Enjoy hot, garnish with sour cream.
- You can use any ground meat. Feel free to use ground chicken, beef, pork, or even bison!
- Canned tomatoes are all good, but the Cento brand has a lot more flavor.
- Make it spicy with roasted hatch green chiles and sriracha!
- This will keep fresh up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Store in an air-tight container.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Simplifying the art of baking and cooking gluten-free recipes.