If you love lemon, this super easy Gluten Free Lemon Sweet Rolls recipe is going to be a keeper. I even made a video so you can make this sticky roll recipe along with me. It is that good!
Sweet lemon flavor, these Gluten Free Lemon Rolls are full of a sticky lemon curd filling! If lemons are your thing, don't forget to check out my most popular gluten free lemon desserts recipes!
I have been working on this recipe for a while now. Getting gluten free dough to rise is tough. I don't know why, but I am lucky if the dough rises a little bit half of the time. My whole family was really excited I had success with this recipe!
For this dessert recipe, I use lots of lemons...from juice to zest, and then a bunch of lemon curd too! If you love lemon, this gluten free lemon sticky rolls recipe is for you. If you are not a fan of lemon, try these Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls with a Peanut Butter Glaze!!
Mr. Fearless Dining has been begging me to make rolls for a long time. I haven't made cinnamon rolls, or any rolls, in a really long time. I wanted to use up more lemons because the pile of lemons on our counter is growing faster than I can use them!
Many people are intimidated by baking rolls. I am ready to walk you through it, every step of the way.
Recipe step by step directions:
The first step is to proof your yeast. Add yeast and sugar to water. Let is sit for five minutes to get bubbly.
The first step is to add your dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk them to blend.
Add all wet ingredients, including the proofed yeast mixture, to a bowl. Whisk to mix it.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix well, then cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise for one hour.
After the dough has risen, dump the dough onto a cutting board dusted with gluten free flour. Shape with your hands into an oval.
Roll the gluten free dough out until it is ¼ inch thick. Dust the dough with gluten free flour as needed so the dough isn't too sticky.
Add lemon curd to the dough and spread it out. You can buy lemon curd like I did at Trader Joe's or your favorite grocery store, or you can make lemon curd with a simple recipe like this dairy-free lemon curd from Noshtastic.
Carefully roll the dough into a rolled tube. Use a knife to cut 2 to 3-inch rolls and arrange them into a greased cake pan. Don't worry about gaps because these lemon rolls will spread out as they bake.
Some people like a perfectly round roll. If this is you, use string and wrap it around the dough. Pull it to cut all around uniformly.
Bake the lemon sweet rolls at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until they look done.
Make a simple lemonade icing with lemon juice and powdered sugar. Drizzle or spread it onto the lemon rolls while they are warm. Enjoy!
More Delicious Gluten Free Lemon Desserts:
- Gluten Free Lemon Tart
- Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Gluten Free Dairy Free Lemon Donuts
- No-Churn Lemon Ice Cream
Gluten Free Lemon Sweet Rolls
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 ¾ cup gluten free flour blend * see note
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup lemon curd
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice add more or less for thickness of icing you want
- In a bowl, add gluten free flours, salt, sugar, and xanthan gum. Whisk to blend.
- In a small bowl, add dry yeast to warm water. Add 1 teaspoon sugar and allow to sit for 5 minutes for the yeast to proof.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add egg, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, lemon zest, yeast in water, milk, and melted coconut oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Put plastic wrap over the bowl and let it rise for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Dust a cutting board with gluten free flour. Drop the dough onto the board.
- Roll the dough to an oval shape ¼ inches thick. Pour the lemon curd onto the dough and spread it out to cover the dough.
- Carefully roll the dough. Use a knife to cut out rolls (see video for a good demo.) Some people like a perfectly round roll. If this is you, use string and wrap it around the dough. Pull it to cut all around uniformly.
- Place in a greased baking dish and bake for 25 minutes until done.
- Drizzle with the lemonade icing.
- I tested this recipe with Cup4Cup. Other blends can work but I haven't tested them.
- If your blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum, add 1 teaspoon.
- I used lemon curd for the filling, you can really use any jam to flavor these rolls any way you like.
- These gluten free lemon rolls will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Store in an air-tight container.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free strawberry desserts e-cookbook!)