These savory, tender Gluten Free Swedish Meatballs are pure comfort food! They are cooked in a rich gravy that is meant to be served over mashed potatoes! It is a match made in heaven! Make this recipe in 30 minutes!
If you are looking for an incredible new gluten free dinner recipe to try, I can’t say enough about this simple Gluten Free Sweedish Meatballs recipe. It is so full of flavor. Everyone in my family was raving about dinner!
If you are looking for easy gluten free dinner recipes, I have tons!
Why Make This Recipe:
You will get hundreds of results if you search online for a gluten-free Swedish Meatballs recipe. Here is why this is the recipe you need to try:
- You can make this recipe in under 30 minutes. It is perfect for those busy weeknights.
- This recipe is a great budget recipe and can feed a family of six without breaking the bank.
- The flavor is so good, and the flavor is cooked into the meatballs all through! I have loved making it every week lately.
- This Swedish meatball recipe is without cream, so it is also perfect for those who are dairy-free.
- You can make the meatballs ahead or freeze the leftovers for another time.
If you love making meatballs, you will also have fun making my Grandma’s Cabbage and Meatballs recipe.
I made these tonight and they were absolutely delicious! My husband who is not gluten free liked them a lot! YUM.Lucretia
- Ground Beef – I recommend using lean ground beef. You can also use ground turkey.
- Ground Sausage – Make sure the brand you purchase is gluten free. I used the Johnsonville Gluten Free Mild Italian Sausage brand.
- Beef Broth – Use regular or low sodium.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend or Potato Starch – You don’t need a lot, and you can use any gluten free brand.
- Gluten Free Panko – You can use store-bought gluten free panko or make it from scratch with my gluten free bread crumbs recipe. Just grind a little less so the crumbs are more coarse, like panko.
- Salt and Pepper – Kosher salt or sea salt are both delicious in this recipe.
- Potatoes – You can use a box mix or boil potatoes and mash them. My Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes recipe is my favorite with these Swedish meatballs.
Tips For Success:
- Mix the sausage and ground beef together with your hands. It is messy, but you get the two types of meat blended together much better than using a spoon or fork.
- Use fresh or dried herbs. If you use dried herbs, you must use less than fresh herbs.
- Save money by making your own homemade gluten free bread crumbs. Just grind a little less so the crumbs are more coarse, like panko.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
You will want to make these in a large skillet or frying pan with sides tall enough to hold the gravy.
Step 1: Add the ground beef, ground sausage, panko, and spices to a large
Step 2: Heat oil in a pan and turn it to medium-high heat. Coat the meatballs in the gluten free flour and add them to the pan. Cook the meatballs, gently turning them until they are browned on all sides.
Step 3: Add the beef broth and seasonings. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to simmer for 15 minutes. Stir the meatballs after 5-7 minutes so that both sides cook evenly.
Step 4: The meatballs should be cooked and ready to serve. My Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes recipe is my favorite with these Swedish meatballs. See below for easy gluten free side dish options to serve with these gluten free Swedish meatballs.
Sides To Serve With Swedish Meatballs:
If you are wondering what side dishes to serve with Swedish meatballs, here are a few of my family’s favorites. These meatballs are best over mashed potatoes, but these sides are also nice to serve.
GF Swedish Meatballs FAQ:
Swedish meatballs contain a mixture of ground beef, pork sausage, and panko. They are cooked with beef gravy.
Store these meatballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep fresh for up to 3 days.
Yes! You can freeze these Swedish meatballs. I prefer to freeze them in a zip-style freezer bag. They will keep fresh in the freezer for up to 4 months.
You may also love these Gluten Free Ground Chicken Meatballs.
More Easy Gluten Free Comfort Food:
- The Best Gluten Free Meatloaf
- Gluten Free Stuffed Peppers
- Creamy Gluten Free Mac and Cheese
- Gluten Free Sloppy Joes
Easy Gluten Free Swedish Meatballs
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
For the meatballs
For the Pan
- 1 tablespoon light oil
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Combine the beef, sausage, panko, seasonings, and egg in a large bowl. Mix well. (If you are using sausage in a casing, cut the casing and remove the sausage meat.)
- Roll the meat into small meatballs and roll them in the flour mixture. Add them to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes each side.
- Turn the temperature down to low and add the broth and additional seasonings.
- Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Serve hot over mashed potatoes or rice.
- Be sure the ground sausage you are using is gluten free. I used the Johnsonville brand and removed the casings.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freeze in a zip-style freezer bag. It will keep fresh in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn’t test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Your go-to haven for gluten-free living, where I share hundreds of delicious, family-friendly recipes, helpful gluten-free resources, and allergen-friendly options for everyone!