These incredible Gluten Free Lemon Brownies are topped with creamy lemonade icing. They are decadent, flavorful, and so easy to make!
I know I have talked about our lemon tree in a few posts, but it is hard not to love our tree. It gives us tons of giant lemons most of the year! What better way to celebrate our lemon tree than to make the perfect gluten free lemon dessert?
This new lemony lemon brownies recipe is pretty incredible. They melt in your mouth with every delicious bite. I make a lot of brownies, but I think you will agree this is going to become popular!
This recipe is amazing! I've made it a few times. YUM."Barbara F.
Why these are so good:
- These lemony gluten free lemon brownies are bursting with sweet tart lemon flavors.
- These brownies are soft and delicious. All you need are 7 simple ingredients!
- Enjoy these homemade brownies plain, or top the gluten free lemon brownies with lemon glaze!
- Gluten free flour blend - I tested this recipe using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend, Pillsbury Gluten Free Flour Blend, and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours, and I can not guarantee the recipe will work if you use other mixes.
- Xanthan Gum - If your gluten-free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum, guar gum, or another binder, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Lemon - Fresh is best because you need lemon juice and zest.
- Butter - To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
How to make gluten free lemon brownies:
Step 1: Add the gluten free flour, sugar, and salt to a bowl and whisk to blend them together.
Step 2: Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, and butter to a bowl and whisk to blend.
HINT: Partially melt the butter so it mixes in easier.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix with a spoon to blend them together.
NOTE: You can also use a standing mixer if you prefer.
Step 4: This is what your lemon brownie batter should look like.
Step 5: Line your 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and dump the batter in.
Step 6: Use a spoon to spread the batter evenly in the pan. This can be a bit tricky, so don't worry if your top isn't perfectly smooth. You can get the top of the spoon with a little water to make it easier. The lemonade glaze will cover the uneven parts.
Bake the brownies for 20-22 minutes at 350º F. Remove from the oven and allow the gluten free lemon brownies to cool.
Step 7: Add the powdered sugar and lemon juice to a bowl. Whisk to blend the glaze.
Step 8: When the brownies are cool, spread the glaze over the top of the brownies.
You may also love using these brownies to make this easy recipe to make Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches too!
- Add white chocolate chips to the brownie batter.
- Substitute lime juice and zest.
- Make them orange with orange juice and zest.
You may also like these chewy Gluten Free Butterscotch Brownies!
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Yes, you can definitely double the recipe and make a 9x13 pan full of lemon brownies!
You don't need baking powder because you want the brownies to be dense and moist.
I always store gluten free baked goods like these lemon brownies in the refrigerator. Keep it in an air-tight container.
You can easily freeze the extra lemon brownies. Place the cooled brownies into a freezer-safe container or zip-style baggie.
You can use as much or as little lemon glaze as you like. They taste delicious plain, without the icing too!
More gluten free brownie recipes:
- Paleo Brownies - hidden veggies!
- Gluten Free Peppermint Brownies
- Easy Gluten Free Brownie Cookies
- Gluten Free Brownie Cheesecake Bars
Gluten Free Lemon Brownies
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs large
- 8 tablespoons butter unsalted, semi-melted
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice more if needed
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Place the butter into a microwave safe dish and microwave it for 30 seconds to partially melt it.
- Pour the rest of the wet ingredients into the butter and whisk to blend.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. You can also spray non-stick oil in the pan if you prefer.
- Add the lemon brownie batter to the pan and use a spatula or large spoon to spread it around evenly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until done. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the middle of the brownies. If there is batter on the toothpick, it needs to bake a little longer.
- Remove the cooked lemon brownies from the oven. Allow them to cool.
- Mix up the icing and spread over the cooled brownies. Enjoy!
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan Gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- These lemon brownies will keep for up to 4 days in an air-tight container or up to 4 months in the freezer. I recommend storing them in the refrigerator.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Looking for more? Get my FREE Gluten Free Lemon Desserts E-Cookbook when you sign up for my weekly recipe newsletter!