If you are looking for an easy way to use those fresh strawberries, these gluten free strawberry oatmeal breakfast bars make a delicious breakfast or snack. Full of fresh fruit, your whole family will love this recipe.
One bite of these fruity oatmeal cookie bars and you will be hooked! (And if you are a huge strawberry fan like me, check out my favorite gluten free strawberry recipes!)
Click for Table of Contents:
Our farmer's market is full of fresh local strawberries right now. They are big, juicy organic strawberries that burst with flavor when you bite into them.
We had a busy morning at the farmer's market so I wanted to make a snack for my family that wouldn't take too long to make. You know how impatient kids can be!
The strawberries in these oatmeal bars are definitely the hero of this snack, and these are healthy enough so your kids can even have two if they want 🙂
How long do fresh strawberries last?
Fresh strawberries will last a day or two on your counter. More like one day if they are from your Farmer's Market. If you don't finish the strawberries the first day, I highly recommend storing them in your refrigerator or freezing them.
Can you use frozen strawberries in this recipe?
You can use frozen strawberries in this strawberry bars recipe, but you will need to prep them so that your gluten free strawberry bars don't turn out super mushy. Thaw the strawberries and pour out a little of the juice out before adding after the oatmeal layer.
Why you must use certified gluten free oats?
One important note for using oats when you are on a gluten free diet. Make sure the oats you use are certified gluten free. Cross-contamination is a huge issue for oats and I don't want anyone to get sick!!
Oats themselves are gluten free but they are often grown next to wheat and they cross-contaminate in silos. Here are some great certified gluten free oats brands to try.
I hope you are all having a great summer. I updated this post from a July 2016 post and I am glad to say with all of the rain we had, the fire risk in California this summer is very low compared to two years ago!!
Our summer has been busier than most, and our vacation plans fizzled out because of the big LA Sand Fire. (We are praying that nobody else loses their homes, this fire is just horrible.) Our plan was to go to take the kids to Universal Studios, but there is just too much smoke there. The drought in California has made forest fires a real danger.
Luckily, we had a plan B, which includes lots of fun day trips. This is our last hurrah because our kids will be in different high schools next year. Little did we understand that this meant that all of their vacations, except one week, are on different dates! More time to create delicious recipes like these fresh strawberry oatmeal bars :-).
Can you use other fruits?
Yes, this oatmeal bar recipe works with lots of different fruits! Here are some ideas:
- Strawberry Rhubarb
Add the crust ingredients to a bowl.
Layer on the fresh strawberries. Again, feel free to use the fruits you have on hand if you don't have fresh strawberries.
Add a few layers so the flavor really bursts through.
Sprinkle on the final layer of the crust and bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until the strawberries are softened and the bars solidify.
More delicious recipes with gluten free oats:
- Gluten Free Chocolate Steel Cut Oats (yes you can have chocolate for breakfast!)
- Simple and delicious, these Grab and Go Gluten Free Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are perfect for a busy morning.
- If you are into big cookies, this Giant Gluten Free Oatmeal Pizookie Cookie is hard to resist.
- Another delicious breakfast recipe, this How to Make Overnight Oats tutorial is great for meal prep.
- Certified gluten free oats. Make sure your oats are certified gluten free. Oats are very easily cross-contaminated with wheat so really make sure so you stay safe.
- Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. It just works.
- 8x8 baking dish. This size pan is perfect for these gluten free strawberry bars.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Simple Gluten Free Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 7x7 pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the melted butter and mix. Press 1/2 of the mixed crust to the bottom of the pan.
- Add a layer of fresh strawberries.
- Top with remaining crust and bake for 25-30 minutes.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)