Summer is here and it is officially "grilling season" here! You are going to love how easy this grilled New York sirloin is to make. This steak is the perfect dinner for a cookout.
Add in a fresh homemade basil garlic sauce and this is a fabulous steak recipe to try! If you love grilling as much as we do, check out this easy grilled pork chops recipe too.
You are going to LOVE this easy grilled steak recipe thanks to a handy new product I just discovered at my local Trader Joe's. Think fresh herbs, flash-frozen in pre-measured cubes. Store them in your freezer and you have fresh herbs 24/7, anytime you want!!
(*This post was sponsored by Dorot but all delicious opinions are my own.)
Have you seen those little red boxes of Dorot in the freezer section of your grocery stores yet? I don't know how I missed these for so long. Talk about a time saver!!
This is the easiest way to cook with fresh herbs anytime with no mess, and no spoilage. Nothing is more frustrating than buying fresh basil or other fresh herbs, only to have most of them go bad in the refrigerator before you can use them up!
Dorot cubes are so easy to use! They are kept in pre-measured cubes and all you have to do is pop the cubes into a bowl. Each cube equals one teaspoon of fresh herbs or garlic.
Why this recipe is so good:
This recipe is not only quick and easy to make, your steak turns out juicy and delicious. Kids love it with or without the pesto sauce! If you are looking for an easy weeknight dinner, this is it!
Cooking a New York strip steak is so easy. They are not only perfect for sauces but think about all of the easy ways to cook with fresh herbs!
- Steak - Although I used NY strip steak, you can slather this delicious pesto sauce on any cut of meat, including fish and chicken.
- Basil - Fresh or frozen
- Garlic - Freshly minced or frozen
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Add two cubes of basil to one cube of garlic. I cooked these in my microwave for 15 seconds to melt the herbs. I spread this on each side of my steak.
If you are using fresh herbs, you will want to mix 2 TBSP of chopped basil leaves and 2 cloves of garlic minced.
Step 2: I used the fresh basil and garlic to both marinate my steak, and to make a delicious sauce to drizzle on top.
Step 3: Marinate the steak for 30 minutes before grilling. Fire up the grill and preheat it to 375º F.
Step 4: New York strip grill time will vary depending on several factors. Grill the steak for 5-8 minutes with the grill cover closed. Flip it over to the other side.
Cook an additional 5-6 minutes and check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer. You want your steak to have an internal temperature of 145º F for medium. *Cook time will depend on how thick your steak is.
Step 5: Allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes and then slice it. Drizzle more basil garlic sauce on top and serve hot. You can also drizzle this nut-free pesto on top.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You will want your steak to have an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
For a rare steak, cook to 125-130º F.
NY strip steak is great for grilling!! This steak has fat marbled in the meat, adding to its juiciness.
This steak will keep up to 3 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More Delicious Gluten Free Grilled Recipes:
- Grilled Alaska Halibut
- Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Tilapia
- Easy Grilled Chicken Filet Burgers
- Grilled BBQ Pork Ribs
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Grilled Steak with Basil Garlic Sauce
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 pounds NY strip steak
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the grill to 375º F. Salt and pepper to each side of the steak.
- Add two basil cubes and one garlic cube to a bowl and heat for 15 seconds to melt. Add olive oil and mix well.
- Spread onto both sides of the steak. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Cook the steak on the grill. Time will depend on if you like your steak rare, medium, or well done. For medium, you want to make sure the internal temperature reads 145º F on a meat thermometer.
- Remove from the grill and cover with foil for 5-10 minutes to rest.
- While it is resting, add two more cubes of basil and one cube of garlic to a bowl. Heat 15 minutes. Use this sauce to drizzle on top of the steak.
- I used NY strip but you can use any cut of meat including chicken and fish with this basil garlic sauce.
- Meat cook time will vary widely depending on how thick your steaks are, and if they are bone-in or boneless.
- I like my steak medium at 145º F internal temperature. If you like it rare, you want it to be 125º F.
- This steak will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)