Gluten free churros are one of my favorite recipes ever and I am thrilled to share it with you! Homemade churros are irresistible, and you can’t help but dive in and munch away!
This easy gluten free churros recipe has you frying in coconut oil, and then carefully rolling the churros in a sweet cinnamon sugar mixture. The insides of the gluten free churros are soft while the outside is slightly crispy. Once you try this churros dessert, you may never want anything else! For real, they are that good.
If you love Mexican foods, I put together a delicious collection of Gluten Free Mexican recipes our whole family loves.
I am not going to lie, even though I know eating sugar isn’t the best idea all the time my whole family enjoys our fair share of desserts. Besides, everything is okay in moderation….right? It is hard to resist churros! If you love churros, don’t forget to check out these Gluten Free Churros Cupcakes too!
Whenever we have friends come over for dinner, we often like to serve Grilled Pork Street Tacos and some gluten free churros. You wouldn’t believe how quickly food can disappear! I know that sometimes serving food for other people who aren’t gluten free that there can be some anxiety.
But, I promise you that no one is going to know or care that you are serving them a delicious, wholesome gluten free dinner and dessert.”
If you are excited to try the best churros recipe ever, you should look at these other cinnamon inspired dishes:
- Simple Gluten Free Cinnamon Crumb Cake
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls With Creamy Peanut Butter Glaze
- Cinnamon Granola
What Is A Churro?
A churro is a scrumptious treat that is made from bread dough that has been fried. Then it’s coated in a cinnamon sugar mixture. They are soft, sweet, and just plain delicious. You will most often find them in restaurants, carnivals, and fairs. Now you can make easy gluten free churros right in your own kitchen.
History Of Churros
Churros originated in Spain as a breakfast food, and they have evolved over the years. There are many historians that don’t agree where the churro actually came from, but honestly, they are so good it’s okay if the history is a little sketchy! Some say that the Spanish shepherds made churros as a replacement for fresh bread and that they were named after the Churra Sheep. Similar to churros, Churra sheep have ridges, and that is what inspired the name.
Modern-day churros are used for breakfast, brunch, snacks, and dessert! Basically, any reason we can have to make or eat churros is acceptable!
Can I Save Leftover Churros?
Yes, you can save leftover gluten free churros. Simply, place leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container. You can place a paper towel in the container to help protect them too.
Once you are ready to eat them, you can warm them up easily in the oven. Bake them at 300 degrees F. for somewhere between 5-10 minutes. They don’t take too long to heat and you don’t want to overbake them, or they will dry out and become hard.
Can You Freeze Uncooked Churros?
Yes, you can freeze uncooked churros. The best way is to pipe the gluten free churro dough onto a parchment lined sheet pan. Then place the entire pan into the freezer for 30-45 minutes. After they seem to be frozen, you can put them into a freezer safe bag or container.
They will last 10-12 months in the freezer. If you happen to notice freezer burn, then toss them. Otherwise, you can just grab what you need, fry them and devour every bite.
How To Serve Churros
You can eat this easy churros recipe, just the way it’s written. I like to change what kind of toppings and dips I use. They taste great with just about anything! Here are my go-to ideas:
- Chocolate – Probably the most common way to eat these sweet treats! Just drizzle chocolate on them or dip the gluten free churros into a bowl of chocolate.
- Vanilla Cream Sauce – Seriously, this is highly addictive! Take a peek at my homemade vanilla cream sauce and pair the two for an amazing combination.
- Hot Chocolate – Make yourself a cup of piping hot chocolate and dip the churros into it. Oh my goodness, so scrumptious!
- Icing – Drizzle a little bit of your favorite vanilla or cream cheese icing.
Are you ready to learn how to make this delicious Mexican treat?
How to Make This Gluten Free Churros Recipe:
The first step is to add the water, butter, and sugar to the pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Add gluten free flour and mix well.
This is what your dough will look like after you mix it. The dough is sticky and a little tough to stir.
Heat coconut oil in a pan. Grease will spatter so I cooked these outside on a burner attached to our grill. Pipe the churro dough into the hot oil. Use scissors to cut the dough off the tip when you are done piping each churro.
Cook for 1-2 minutes each side and turn with tongs.
When each churro is cooked, remove it from the oil to a paper towel lined plate. Let sit 1 minute so extra oil can come off then put the churro in a bowl of cinnamon sugar. Roll the churro and put it on a plate.
I am making churros in all lengths. The short ones will be decorating my Gluten Free Churros Cupcakes.
Looking for more gluten free desserts? Here are some terrific recipes to try:
- Gluten Free Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- Drool-Worthy Gluten Free Banana Bread Pudding
- Grandma’s Homemade Cheese Blintz
- Creamy Gluten Free Apple Cake
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- For Cinnamon Sugar topping:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a pot, cook water, butter, and sugar on medium heat.
- Bring to a gentle boil. Turn off the heat and add the flour.
- Mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a standing mixer and add the egg.
- Mix on low speed until blended.
- Move the churro dough to a piping bag with a large tip (see post for tip suggestions).
- On a stove heat coconut oil in a cast iron pan.
- Pipe the churro dough into the hot oil, use a knife or scissors to cut the end of the dough stripe.
- Cook 1-2 minutes and turn the churros with tongs.
- Add cinnamon and sugar to a bowl and mix.
- When the churros are done, transfer to a paper towel lined plate for 1-2 minutes.
- Move churros to the cinnamon sugar mixture and roll the churros to coat.
- Enjoy warm, dip in chocolate or eat as is.
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 54 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 9mg Sodium: 20mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 7g Protein: 1g